ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I want to immigrate to the US, any advice pleeeeease!

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bubbe2005
Newly Registered

I want to immigrate to the US, any advice pleeeeease!

Post by bubbe2005 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:21 am

Hi ALL;

I am a newbie here.

My post is all about moving to the US, I would like to know the options available to me.

I am 26 years old I work full-time here in the UK as an IT Support Person.

I am relatives in the US in San Diego (grandma, auntie, uncle) from my dads side of the family.

In maybe 10 years time I would like to permanently live in the US.

I have had enough of paying a congestion charge of £8 each time you drive into the city, parking permits, bascially its just getting too expensive to live here.

Yes, I assume if I move to the US you pay more for healthcare insurance and stuff like that, but at list your driveway does not come with a yellow line, or parking bays on your street, and your house comes with a garage!!!!!

Any advice would be appretiated.

What things can or do I have to avoid., what would you do if you were in my position.

uslawyer
Newly Registered

Post by uslawyer » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Your relatives in San Diego can help you enter the U.S. in about a year's time as a PERMANENT RESIDENT. [Moderator edit : No advertising allowed]

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:28 pm

uslawyer wrote:Your relatives in San Diego can help you enter the U.S. in about a year's time as a PERMANENT RESIDENT. [Moderator edit : No advertising allowed]
On what basis? Grandparents, aunts and uncles cannot sponsor for green cards.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants ... _1306.html

Susan Muir
Newly Registered

USC thru Grandparents

Post by Susan Muir » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:44 am

This can be an alternative, but has restrictions, however, with IT background there are plenty of companies that are looking for people with these skills.

Your chances of employer-based sponsorship for either temporary or permanent basis is greater.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:13 pm

I'm not too optimistic about the possibility of getting a work visa with some general IT skills, especially if the person has no university degree. It was easy enough during the dot com bubble, but nowadays there are plenty of IT people in the US looking for a job. The company applying for a visa would have to explain to the INS why it cannot hire a US citizen or permanent resident for the same role.

sailorbay89
Newly Registered

Post by sailorbay89 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:18 am

If your in the IT sector, move to San Jose in northern California, after you get all the papers worked out in San Diego and that sort of thing. Up here, Silicon Valley is hiring like their is no tomorrow, so a great place to look for IT work is up here. Good luck.

-Bowen in the Bay Area

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:37 am

sailorbay89 wrote:If your in the IT sector, move to San Jose in northern California, after you get all the papers worked out in San Diego and that sort of thing. Up here, Silicon Valley is hiring like their is no tomorrow, so a great place to look for IT work is up here. Good luck.

-Bowen in the Bay Area
What exactly do you mean by "get all the papers worked out in San Diego"? If he wants to look for a job he'll have to go to the US as a tourist on the Visa Waiver Program, without letting the immigration officer know he plans to do that. Better get a return ticket for two weeks later and then throw it away, otherwise they might get suspicious. Then he will have 90 days to persuade some company in the Bay Area to make him an offer. That's not going to be easy, since visa applications can take a while and companies usually either want to hire someone right away or not at all. And in order to qualify for a work visa the person must have either a university degree in a relevant discipline or work experience for a certain number of years. The company must persuade the INS that despite their best efforts they have not been able to hire a USC or PR for that position.

Another possibility: get a job with a multinational company in London and after a while apply for a transfer to a US branch.

Yet another possibility: fall in love with a USC and marry her :).

sailorbay89
Newly Registered

Post by sailorbay89 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:21 am

Sorry, what I should have said was just about the job market, I am obviously no genius on the issue of immigration papers, etc... Didn't mean to confuse anyone.