ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(O) Postal Application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rohitsharmalk
Newly Registered

SET(O) Postal Application

Post by rohitsharmalk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:33 am

Hello there,

I got my Tier 1 extn in July 2011 which is valid till Jul 2013. However, I am now eligible to apply for ILR as of Dec 04 2011.
As we have ample time remaining on current Tier 1, we are planning to apply by post assuming it typically takes 3 to 4 months to get the results back.
We are also expecting a baby in early Feb 2012.

The queires are:

1. Assuming we apply by end of Dec 2011 and get a result back by May 2012, will the new born be an eligible UK citizen? Can we later apply for it's UK passport directly OR will it fall in the current Visa category which is Tier 1 dependent?

2. If my application gets rejected, will I be given a chance to appeal or not?

3. Also, if I book a premium in-person appointment for me and two dependents, do both the dependents need to accompany me to the PEO or can I represnt them?

Thanks in advance.

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:03 pm

1. As soon as you get you ILR, the newly born baby will be classed as british citizen. You can then use form MN1 to register him as british citizen.

2. If your application gets rejected, you will have time to reapply for ILR. In case they don't give you the ILR at first place, you will not be classed as illegal. Secondly, if it is rejected due to some reason, you will have time to rectify the objection and apply again.

3. There is no need to take your dependents with you on the PEO appointment. However, you must book the appointment for your complete family.
The question is... to be or not to be....

rohitsharmalk
Newly Registered

Post by rohitsharmalk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks Zahid.

1. Just want to confirm that you have accounted the fact that the baby will be born in Feb while the ILR will be received by April/May. Which means, my legal status in UK till May is Tier 1. So do you mean that the baby will be classed as citizen even when my legal status is tier 1.

2. thanks for clarifying.

3. Good to hear your answer however I have got conflicting answers from some of the other friends as they say that everyone who has applied needs to be present. Just want to hear from more people if this is the case.

Thanks very much again

Just booked an in-person appointment and saw this:
Appointment checklist
Print and sign the official form and bring it to your appointment. To do this, click Continue below.
Arrive 30 minutes before your appointment. You will need this time for security checks.
Bring all the dependants registered in your application with you to this appointment.
Do not bring anyone else; they will not be seen.
Bring a printout of this page or your confirmation email.
If you have not already paid, bring a means of payment.
Bring your supporting documents. See your application form and guidance notes for details.
If you are unable to attend, please cancel your appointment.

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi Rohit,

Please read this thread.

I am sure, this will answer most of your questions.

FAQ for ILR Tier 1 and other Work Permit Holders
The question is... to be or not to be....

fellyblue1
Newly Registered

Post by fellyblue1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi
If your baby is born BEFORE you get your ILR the child will have an 'entitlement' to register as a British citizen. This will cost you £540 to register the child before applying for a British passport.
However if you are eligible for ILR before the baby is born and can apply in-person(quicker) then the baby would be British from birth without the need to register.
This is from my own personal experience....

rohitsharmalk
Newly Registered

Post by rohitsharmalk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks Fellyblue.

Any thoughts on point 3. My wife is pregnant and I would like to avoid taking her to PEO if possible.

sree_nair11

Post by sree_nair11 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:27 am

You don't have to take the dependent along. You can go alone and get the ILR done for all three of you.