ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

viglant
Newly Registered

British Citizenship

Post by viglant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi,
Both me and my wife got ILR recently in Dec 2011.

I applied for ILR on the basis of 5 yr work permit.

When I will b able to apply for British citizenship.

My wife joined me in the UK during June 2010 as my dependent.
As far as I know I can apply a year after I got my ILR .

Can my wife apply at same time with me?

If no, when can she apply?

Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:00 pm

viglant, you need to take on board that the applicant for Naturalisation must have been physically in the UK exactly 5 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application.

Except if the applicant is married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen then delete "5 years" and insert "3 years".

Therefore based upon the basic information provided by you, only you can apply for Naturalisation one year after getting the ILR. But then after you have become British, surprise surprise, your wife will be married to a British Citizen! So after the 3rd anniversary of her arrival in the UK, sometime in June 2013, your wife will be able to apply as well.
John

viglant
Newly Registered

British Citizenship

Post by viglant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks very much John.

One final thing. If a baby is born while your are on ILR, is he/she entitled get British Passport straightaway?

Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:21 pm

If a baby is born while your are on ILR, is he/she entitled get British Passport straightaway?
That depends! It depends upon whether the child is born in the UK, or outside the UK.

If born in the UK then the child is a British Citizen from the moment of birth. However if born outside the UK the child will not be British until so registered, and that registration cannot be applied for before at least one parent is applying for Naturalisation.
John