ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse visa for jamaican

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

toogrown4dat

spouse visa for jamaican

Post by toogrown4dat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:45 am

does anybody know about the amount of time it takes for the visa to be processed.

im planning to apply for my husbands spouse visa, we have been married for a year. i live in england and he lives in jamaica and this is where i met him. i have been told by a solicitor that he will cost 500 to fill the form in with me, and then when i go jamaica because i visit quite regular i will take the form to the embassy and within two weeks my husband will be called for an interview.

what i would like to know is my solicitor told me i dont need 3000 in my bank account just need to have a regular income my own accommodation proof we have met and need to be married. does this sounds right and has anybody else been through this or have any advice on the best option in applying for his visa.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:34 am

You don't need to have savings if you have regular income. After deducting rent or mortgage, council tax and any credit/loan repayments you need to have a minimum of £102.95 remaining weekly as a couple. This rises if there are children. However, the Government propose to raise the minimum level if the new regulations are implemented, possibly in the Spring of 2012. You need to submit strong evidence of the relationship and have adequate accommodation available on your husband's arrival in the UK.
Remember that in addition to your solicitor's fee you will have to pay the fee for the Settlement visa.
The solicitor is being over optimistic in the processing/decision time. Other members with experience of applying in Jamaica will be able to advise on just how long this is likely to take if the application is straightforward. Jamaica isn't one of the fast-track visa application centres (VAC). Your husband will submit the form, not you. I believe that visa applications submitted in Jamaica are sent to New York for processing, but wait for confirmation from others on that. Systems change.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi there,

My husband is also in Jamaica, although i haven't submitted an application as yet, i know of a number of people who have in the last 18 months. None were requested to attend an interview, and the processing time on average was a 10 week wait. Applications are usually all processed within 12 weeks. Up until summer this year the fast track option was available, but has now been scrapped. The decision is made at the High Commission in Kingston.

Without substantial savings to live on, a regular income is required and you need to show you have the amounts Casa stated to support yourself and your husband (plus any dependants if you have any).

Also you don't necessarily have to have your own place, but you and your husband need a bedroom exclusively to yourselves.

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:43 am

Casa wrote:You don't need to have savings if you have regular income. After deducting rent or mortgage, council tax and any credit/loan repayments you need to have a minimum of £102.95 remaining weekly as a couple. This rises if there are children. However, the Government propose to raise the minimum level if the new regulations are implemented, possibly in the Spring of 2012. You need to submit strong evidence of the relationship and have adequate accommodation available on your husband's arrival in the UK.
Remember that in addition to your solicitor's fee you will have to pay the fee for the Settlement visa.
The solicitor is being over optimistic in the processing/decision time. Other members with experience of applying in Jamaica will be able to advise on just how long this is likely to take if the application is straightforward. Jamaica isn't one of the fast-track visa application centres (VAC). Your husband will submit the form, not you. I believe that visa applications submitted in Jamaica are sent to New York for processing, but wait for confirmation from others on that. Systems change.
hi thanks for replying, we dont have any children as of yet and i have accommodation my mother has given me her 4 bedroom house so housing isnt a problem. Am i correct in thinking that the actual visa is about 650-700 pounds aswell as the solicitor fees? what my solicitor said was that he will help me fill in the form and i can submit strong evidence of our relationship via pictures birthdays cards phone cards (lots of them by the way i now hate the operator that chips in about you having 1 minute left lol) obviously my marriage certificate and ive been to jamaica over 9 times since we met in 2009 and its his house i stay at with his family. the solitor said we will go through everything with a fine tooth comb and then my husband willl add in his information when i go to jamaica, proof that his is working and information he has that we are ina relationship, as he has his own stuff that he has collected and kept too, and then he will submit the application himself.
and thank you so much for telling me about the 12 week process, as i have been trying to find anywhere that says a similar thing to the two weeks he was raving about. 12 weeks sounds very realistic so thank you

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:49 am

SoHopeful wrote:Hi there,

My husband is also in Jamaica, although i haven't submitted an application as yet, i know of a number of people who have in the last 18 months. None were requested to attend an interview, and the processing time on average was a 10 week wait. Applications are usually all processed within 12 weeks. Up until summer this year the fast track option was available, but has now been scrapped. The decision is made at the High Commission in Kingston.

Without substantial savings to live on, a regular income is required and you need to show you have the amounts Casa stated to support yourself and your husband (plus any dependants if you have any).

Also you don't necessarily have to have your own place, but you and your husband need a bedroom exclusively to yourselves.
hi
thank you for the information, my aunty got married in jamaica also to a jamaican and he had to attend an interview, but thinking about it now i think that was after they applied and got rejected and then appealed.

also do you think its better doing your application through a solicitor or by yourself? my aunty did hers by herself but her circumstances were different from mine.

we havent submitted our application yet either

thanks again for any information you provide

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:18 am

The current fee for a Settlement Visa is £810.

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:45 pm

thanks thats good to know.

so is it better to take the form in ourselves or send through mail?
it may seem like a stupid question but i want to use the best and quickest method possible

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:34 am

hi
thank you for the information, my aunty got married in jamaica also to a jamaican and he had to attend an interview, but thinking about it now i think that was after they applied and got rejected and then appealed.

also do you think its better doing your application through a solicitor or by yourself? my aunty did hers by herself but her circumstances were different from mine.

I plan to do my application myself, i would only suggest doing this if your application is straight forward. For example; my husband has never travelled, so there is no negative immigration history. You say you met your husband here. If he was not an overstayer than you should have no difficulty doing it yourself.
o is it better to take the form in ourselves or send through mail?
it may seem like a stupid question but i want to use the best and quickest method possible
There is no option to apply by mail, your husband will need to go in with his documents once you have completed the online form. You can go with him, but it will be him who have to submit the information. If you are not in the country with him, you will have to send the evidence you have collected via courier.

Also, if your husband uses Digicel and calls you, contact them for a record of the calls made from his mobile.

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:05 pm

SoHopeful wrote:
hi

I plan to do my application myself, i would only suggest doing this if your application is straight forward. For example; my husband has never travelled, so there is no negative immigration history. You say you met your husband here. If he was not an overstayer than you should have no difficulty doing it yourself.

no i met my husband in jamaica and like your husband he hasnt travelled either, so it sounds like his visa will be straight forward so i dont think i will use a solicitor.

There is no option to apply by mail, your husband will need to go in with his documents once you have completed the online form. You can go with him, but it will be him who have to submit the information. If you are not in the country with him, you will have to send the evidence you have collected via courier.

Also, if your husband uses Digicel and calls you, contact them for a record of the calls made from his mobile.
this is also what i planned to do to get a record that he tops up his phone for the 1000 international minutes. i plan to be in jamaica as soon as i have completed the online form, we decided that its better and will save us money if i dont go back until i have done the form.

have you started yours yet?

thank you so much for your help

Tuffgyal
Newly Registered

Post by Tuffgyal » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi I applied for my husbands visa from
Kingston it's been 8 weeks and still waiting but it seem a 10 week wait I filled the app in online and emailed it to him for him to
Print off to sign and take to the ukba I've not herd of anyone being interviewed in the past year or so I would drop that solicitor like a hot brick if your case is straight forward then do the app and sporting docs yourself so your in control pm me if you need anymore advise

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 pm

Tuffgyal wrote:Hi I applied for my husbands visa from
Kingston it's been 8 weeks and still waiting but it seem a 10 week wait I filled the app in online and emailed it to him for him to
Print off to sign and take to the ukba I've not herd of anyone being interviewed in the past year or so I would drop that solicitor like a hot brick if your case is straight forward then do the app and sporting docs yourself so your in control pm me if you need anymore advise
thanks.

how long did your app take to do online?

Tuffgyal
Newly Registered

Post by Tuffgyal » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:49 pm

I filled the app in printed it off checked and highlighted everything to make sure it was right Once I new it was right after checking about 100 lol times I clicked submit and then made my hubby's appointment which was two days later when I first looked at the form I thought omg no way can I fill this in but when you really read it it's not that hard....  

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:34 pm

Tuffgyal wrote:I filled the app in printed it off checked and highlighted everything to make sure it was right Once I new it was right after checking about 100 lol times I clicked submit and then made my hubby's appointment which was two days later when I first looked at the form I thought omg no way can I fill this in but when you really read it it's not that hard....  
how long did it take you to fill in

Tuffgyal
Newly Registered

Post by Tuffgyal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:46 am

I did it over two days kept going back to it you have up to a week once you set it up online

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:50 pm

can somebody please give me a list of all the documents they had, im going to start putting mine together now so i can make sure i dont miss out anything

caylalove
Newly Registered

Post by caylalove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi Tuffgy you have its been 8 week back in Nov. Have you heard anything as yet?

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:16 pm

caylalove wrote:
Hi Tuffgy you have its been 8 week back in Nov. Have you heard anything as yet?
yeah she got through and her husband is here now enjoying the cold :)

caylalove
Newly Registered

Post by caylalove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 pm

Ok. That's great. Glad everything turned out good.

Do you know how long it took in total? Anyone see who has applied in Jamaica please share your experience

toogrown4dat

Post by toogrown4dat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:40 pm

i think it took 12 weeks

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Yeah upto 12 weeks is the usual wait, but 9weeks seems to be the common result.

clarrygill
Newly Registered

Post by clarrygill » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:39 pm

My jamaican husband & I submitted our documents in kingston on the 21st November. I have received an email today (14/12/11) saying his documents are ready to collect. I am so worried that this is too quick a processing time & the visa has been refused!? Any advice??

caylalove
Newly Registered

Post by caylalove » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Wow that is very quick. Has your husband collected his passport yet?

Good luck. (Crosses fingers)

Please let me know the outcome.

lhsiri

Post by lhsiri » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:12 am

it's really hard that he get the visa ,
anyway good luck

ruffryders4er
Newly Registered

Settlement Visa

Post by ruffryders4er » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 pm

I've finally booked my Hubby's appointment in Kingston. It seemed like a headache finding out what i needed to do cause soo many people give different information.

I approached a solicitor and it would have costed us £3000 :shock:

I eventually found a charity run place in South London called the ''AFRO-ASIAN ADVISORY SERVICE'' just Google it. They don't charge, if your not entitled to legal aid they just ask for an Donation which can even be after they help you.

Am Just at the beginning of the waiting list! but 12weeks sounds Good!

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 pm

£3000 is freakin ridiculous! I don't think a straightforward case requires a solicitor/advisor, but if so, nothing more than £700 i would say!

Well, just to inform you...since Worldbridge was removed from Kingston, applications seem to be processed in less than a month, so your wait may not be as long as you think. :D

Best of luck!