ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Quick Question: Fix term contract and spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

caylalove
Newly Registered

Quick Question: Fix term contract and spouse visa

Post by caylalove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi everyone.

I am wondering if it is possible to apply for a spouse visa while on a fix term contract.

I am a UK citizen and currently outside of the UK living in my husbands home coutry. I am planning to come back to the UK and the apply for a spouse visa for him after i have the correct documents to support my application.

I would like to know if i will still be able to apply for the visa if i am employed in a "fix term contract" or temporary position. Would i only be able to apply for permanent positions in order to meet maintenance requirements?

Thanks! :lol:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:27 pm

caylalove, you might think that this is not particularly helpful, but the financial test is to show that the visa applicant will not need to claim certain Public Funds.

In order to establish that the overall position will be examined. How much is being earned? How much are the housing costs? And as regards employment, the security of that employment might be taken into account.

But you ask about "if i am employed in a "fix term contract" or temporary position." How long is the fixed term? One week? One year? Or what? And if temporary, realistically how long will it last?

Having said all that, when my own wife applied for her spouse visa nearly 11 years ago I merely had a temporary contract, although it was clear it would go on for some time, which it did. Spouse visa granted, no problem.
John

caylalove
Newly Registered

Post by caylalove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Ok, Thanks for the information John.

For clarification, the position I was refering to was a fixed contract for 1 year.

By reading your post I agree I will need more job security. I believe a permanent position will be a better option.

Thanks again

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:12 pm

A permanent position would be better, but a one-year fixed term contract also sounds rather good.

In any case, these days, how permanent is a permanent position?
John

caylalove
Newly Registered

Post by caylalove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:26 pm

"how permanent is a permanent position?"

So true.

I guess what i wanted to know is. Is it possible to be denied a spouse visa if you meet all the requirements but are employed on a fix term contract?[/quote]

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:17 pm

I am currently looking for work (Kingstonian hubby also lol) and I would grab a one year contract with both hands!! Once the job will ensure you meet the financial criteria that should be fine.

caylalove
Newly Registered

Post by caylalove » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks for the advise. Your situation seems quite like mine. I am planning to return to the UK so I can apply. I have been in Jamaica for 18mnts.

Have you applied yourself yet?

caylalove
Newly Registered

Post by caylalove » Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 am

As I had mentioned before, I was offered a job on a one year fixed term contract.

I am earning £23000 p/a and I live in my parents home. I do not pay rent but pay £400 p/m to help with the costs of the household.

I would like to know, if would i be eligible to apply for 3rd party support? I am working and I have over the £105 per week needed to sponsor my husband on a spouse visa.

Would it help if my mother submitted bank statements ect and a letter stating she will be willing to support my husband if my contract is not renewed at the end of the one year contract?