ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Remaining in the UK-other options?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

verity
Newly Registered

Remaining in the UK-other options?

Post by verity » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:26 am

Greetings.
Does anyone know if there are any OTHER options for remaining in the UK if a marriage breaks down before being married for 3 years?

The non-eea person is working a full-time proper job and has private medical insurance. If the EEA partner leaves the marriage and the country, my understanding is that the non-EEA will thus lose their job and be deported.

Is there ANY way of preventing this? Would having a strong bank balance help? Could a friend sponsor the non-EEA person to stay? Though the job is a career path focused position, it isn’t on the list of labor shortages, so work permit isn’t an option.

Thank you for reading.

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Remaining in the UK-other options?

Post by 86ti » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:46 am

verity wrote:The non-eea person is working a full-time proper job and has private medical insurance. If the EEA partner leaves the marriage and the country, my understanding is that the non-EEA will thus lose their job and be deported.
A worker is not required to have private insurance and thus this is irrelevant.

By "leaving" the marriage do you actually mean divorce? What would happen in your scenario is that the non-EEA would lose the right to stay and to work under EEA regulations and would be deported if he/she doesn't leave voluntarily. Unless, of course, ...

verity wrote:Is there ANY way of preventing this? Would having a strong bank balance help? Could a friend sponsor the non-EEA person to stay? Though the job is a career path focused position, it isn’t on the list of labor shortages, so work permit isn’t an option.
... you qualify on your own (which you believe you don't) or enter a new marriage/relationship.

verity
Newly Registered

Extenuating Circumstances?

Post by verity » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Greetings.

Its been nearly a year since my last post. I am still concerned. My husband and I are not legally divorced, but I wish we were. He has a lot of very serious problems (drugs, alcohol, abuse) and I would like to have no ties to him. The scary part of this and what I risk if I were to push him away, is that I would be deported.

In my previous question, I was being rather vague. So I will try to be more clear here:

6.1 of Chapter 2 it states:
"A person who ceases to be a family member of a qualified person on termination of a marriage or civil partnership will retain a right of residence if:
the marriage or partnership lasted for at least three years immediately before the initiation of proceedings for divorce, annulment or dissolution, and the parties to the marriage or civil partnership had resided in the UK for at least one year during the duration of the marriage or civil partnership, or
the former spouse or civil partner of the qualified person has custody of the
children or a right of access to the children in the UK, or
there are particularly difficult circumstances (such as domestic violence)
justifying the retention of the right of residence."

My question is what such circumstances would be justification. My husband wasn't physically abusive, however, he was verbally abusive, is an alcoholic and more or less refused to find a job (simply by sitting around all day at home surfing the internet.) I have worked continuously, full-time since the day we arrived in 2010. These are the reasons I separated from him. I did eventually find him a part-time job, but he is no longer working there (though within is legal time frame of exercising his treaty right).

I never called the police or anything. At the end of our relationship, however, he did go mental, drinking a lot, taking perscription drugs and combining the two. On two occasions he spent all the remaining money in our joint account on getting drunk. This was when I was supporting both of us.

It should be noted here, that I do NOT use any drugs, am a rather stable and professional individual. I would certainly be able to get "character references". I was unaware of the depth of his mental issues when I agreed to marry him.

We are 8 months away from "3 years of marriage". He did leave the UK for a few months to work in his home country (a friend got him a temp job) and he intends to come back to the UK before the 6 month period. I really don't want him to return. My life is much more peaceful now without him here causing trouble to me. This is why I am asking what would be considered "difficult circumstances" besides physical domestic violence.

Do I perhaps need a lawyer?

Sorry for the long drawn out question. I wanted to give some detail to help with a reply.

Thank you in advance if you are able to offer any advice.

Azhaar
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Extenuating Circumstances?

Post by Azhaar » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 pm

verity wrote:
We are 8 months away from "3 years of marriage". He did leave the UK for a few months to work in his home country (a friend got him a temp job) and he intends to come back to the UK before the 6 month period. I really don't want him to return. My life is much more peaceful now without him here causing trouble to me. This is why I am asking what would be considered "difficult circumstances" besides physical domestic violence.

Do I perhaps need a lawyer?

Sorry for the long drawn out question. I wanted to give some detail to help with a reply.

Thank you in advance if you are able to offer any advice.

let him come back b4 8 6 months period this is good for u, cus then u can file a divorce and it will take another few months until the decree abslute is finalised by then u would have retained ur right of of residence..

now just make sure he comes back and finds a job so he is still exercising treaty rights or he can have CSI with his name so if he is not working and u get divorce then u will qualify under self sufficient..

so his return b4 6 months its a good idea --

thank you

verity
Newly Registered

stickiness

Post by verity » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks for your reply! I saw that you dealt with an abusive situation yourself. Sorry to hear that you had to deal with that, but its great everything has worked out.

I'm afraid of him returing to the UK. Before he left, he showed up to my house drunk wanting to come in. I wasn't there and it disturbed my new landlady. I do not wish to have this happen again. He has also never secured housing for himself. He is 40 years old and his last flat provided to him by the city council in his home country because he was homeless and had mental problems which prevented him from performing adult responsibilites. I didn't realise these things until after we were married. He seemed like a nice guy who had a decent flat in a decent part of town.

I think that if he comes here, he will end up on the street. He has no friends and has never been responsible. He cannot live with me. I think he belongs in rehab or a mental insititution where he receives very special care. In fact, I just recieved word that he was in the hospital because he overdosed on drugs and alcohol. He is alive, but nearly died. This is not a stable person.

I am wondering if these might be considered "difficult circumstances" and might be worth involving a lawyer. I'm afraid of involving a lawyer and paying loads of money only to lose the case and be deported.

Thanks again for your advice.

Warm regards

Azhaar
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Azhaar » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:22 pm

i have a suggestion .. try to contact victim support.. and informed him about his verbal abuse.. they might be able to support u and help u later on with any reports.. send those reports to get ur divorce because now say if he comes back but dont work it will affect the continious residence towards PR..

I guess if u get in contact with these organisations that might help u later with ur application.. but pls make sure u get the divorce after completing 3 years marriage so u can retain your rights,, so u really need the divorce in order to retain ur rights..

so now...

1-lets hope he comes back (i know u r scared) but if he doesnt u will lose ur rights to stay here...

2- get a police to warn him so he doesnt come near u.. (caution)

3 file the divorce it will take some times until is finalise by then u would have retained ur Rights..

u have to fight for your rights specially when u r a very independent woman..

take care and good luck, and lets wait to see if someone else has another suggetion

thx :wink:

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:31 am

I believe you will need to seek legal advice from a competent legal adviser who would have to look at your whole circumstance and decide on which step will be best for you.

On the basis of your current situation, you will not qualify for retention of residence for several reasons.

1. You and the Spouse are required to have spend 1 year in the Host memberstate in this 3 years period. You may be required to provide proof of this.

2. You are required to show that prior to the termination of the marriage, the spouse was a qualified person. If this person is away, he cannot be a qualified person.

3. His drug habit cannot be considered as particularly difficult circumstance, as the circumstance covered by this was stated.

The question now is, how long have you lived in the UK, has your residence been lawful or unlawful prior to the residence Card?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors