ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English test is not easy!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nosah

English test is not easy!

Post by nosah » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi brothers and sisters
My husband went to do the test today IELTS general training and he is in india he can speak, write and read in English but not fluent because his mother language is arabic and today he said the exam was very hard not as we expect to be I am really worried now. Can I know if he is doing the right exam?! because other people said the exam is not hard and he is good in English he studied in a private English school in our home country.
Which grade should he get to pass please can anyone tell me I can't stop crying I want him to be next to me I can't wait any longer.
Last edited by nosah on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will always love you habiby

Applied for spouse visa 30 May
Ready for collection 16 Aug
Visa stamped 15 Aug

Thanks God

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:48 pm

He only needs to pass a test to A1 standard (which is not hard). There are many and various tests (see link below) that can be taken and some test to a much higher standard than others. If IELTS is too hard for him (and I agree that it's graded to a standard that is much higher than is necessary) he should consider taking an easier option such as KET, PET, etc.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

nosah

Post by nosah » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks
Do you know which score should he get to pass?

Visa stamped 15 Aug

Thanks God

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:01 pm

It's in the link; scroll down to IELTS. He needs to get 4.0 in all four categories at the B1 level.

nosah

Post by nosah » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks alot

Visa stamped 15 Aug

Thanks God

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Lucapooka wrote:It's in the link; scroll down to IELTS. He needs to get 4.0 in all four categories at the B1 level.

he only needs to get 4.0 in speaking and listening for a spouse visa.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:36 am

Well not according to the new list, which specifically mentions of all four categories. Are you confusing IELTS with TOEIC, as that does seem to selectively reduce the requirement to only speaking and listening? If IELTS for spouse and partners is similarly treated then why is that not stated?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Lucapooka wrote:Well not according to the new list, which specifically mentions of all four categories. Are you confusing IELTS with TOEIC, as that does seem to selectively reduce the requirement to only speaking and listening? If IELTS for spouse and partners is similarly treated then why is that not stated?
No - I am not confused in the slightest.

The list states what scores in each component relate to on the CEFR scale. these tests can be use for other applications (such as tier 4 applications) when a B1 (4.0) or B2 (5.5) in each component is required depending on whether a student is studying at degree level or below degree level.

The requirement for spouses is A1 in speaking and listening - therefore the scores in reading and writing are not relevent. See Q&A guidance for new applicants Particularly page 4

See also para 281 (i) (a) (ii)] which only states that A1 in speaking and listening is required

I would imagine that TOEIC have specified speaking and listening only for partners and spouses because this test is specificially designed for those who are at A1 and taking the test for visa purposes. Since IELTS is only designed to test at B1 and above, all scores are listed as all components are testes as part of the assessment, but it does not mean that scores of 4.0 in reading and writing are required, as this would be contrary to the immigration rules (and UKBA's guidance on the matter).

nosah

Post by nosah » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:36 pm

so PET is ok?

Visa stamped 15 Aug

Thanks God

lhsiri

Post by lhsiri » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:35 pm

it's better if he do the KEY ENGLISH TEST knowing as KET , it was really easy , I dont have a very good english , but I got 77% , the only problem is that it take longer to get the certificat from that test provider , it take 2 months and 15 days ( 75 days) , hope that help , good luck

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Alot of posts regarding english language requirements are not very clear. It is only the speaking and listening elements that are required to pass for the spouse visa. Reading and writing are not required.

Greenie you cleared it up well.

What happens if I take a test at a higher level?
The minimum standard applicants will need to meet is in speaking and listening at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference.

The list of approved tests and providers includes some tests above A1 level. This is because the UK Border Agency will also accept tests in speaking and listening, or speaking and listening with additional skills such as reading or writing, taken at a higher level with an approved test provider.

This is to give people as wide a choice as possible and to provide for those who have already taken a test at a higher level with one of the current approved test providers. It also allows for people who wish to take a higher-level test for work or study reasons.

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:33 pm

I have taken a test at level A1 which tested reading and writing as well as speaking and listening skills.

I passed speaking and listening but failed to reach A1 in reading and writing. Can I still use this test?
Providing you can demonstrate you have passed in speaking and listening at Level A1 with one of the approved test providers you can use this evidence. We are only using tests which can show separate scores for speaking and listening skills.

M&L
Newly Registered

Post by M&L » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:56 pm

flyguy wrote:I have taken a test at level A1 which tested reading and writing as well as speaking and listening skills.

I passed speaking and listening but failed to reach A1 in reading and writing. Can I still use this test?
Providing you can demonstrate you have passed in speaking and listening at Level A1 with one of the approved test providers you can use this evidence. We are only using tests which can show separate scores for speaking and listening skills.
A1 is the lowest score to pass in English, but the UK government is going to change this to B1 level soon, if you failed to reach the reading and writing test you have to take it again you must pass all the levels for a Settlement visa. if it is for a student visa B1 is needed.