ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Home Office presents Google Hits, and Wins!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

transpondia-2011

Home Office presents Google Hits, and Wins!

Post by transpondia-2011 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:01 pm

In case R (BT) v (1) SSHD & (2) Upper Tribunal (C4/1983/2011), the person was appealing an asylum claim on the grounds of being a lesbian. As evidence she produced medical reports of wounds inflicted to an intimate part of her body.

On the day of the hearing, the Home Office showed up with a Google search that had no hits to substantiate her claim. Based upon this, the Home Office set forth the position that her evidence was unreliable. What came next borders upon the UNREAL.

Incredible to relate, the judge dismissed the appeal on grounds of credibility. She lost!

On Monday, she received permission to launch a judicial review. So this story is still developing...

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:05 am

What was the search they ran? Her name? Her wounds?

Saying a google search is unusable doesn't help unless you say what it was for.

If she was claiming a medical term and they used the google search to show it doesn't exist - that would seem reasonable to me.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 am

Do provide a link to the case.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

transpondia-2011

Post by transpondia-2011 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Vinnie!! Glad you picked up on this. At the moment I am using case notes written by the instructed barrister (at Doughty Street Chambers); and the UT - to my knowledge - hasn't published anything yet. It's very new, like last week or so. You can use the case header to poll your searches for when something appears. Check the barrister's site for when it appears on their list of 'interesting cases'. But in all events, I'm tracking the case and will SHOUT anyway when the next thing occurs.

It's great to see you're interested in this one!