ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marriage visas

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

renfrew
Newly Registered

marriage visas

Post by renfrew » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:17 am

do you have to go through a criminal background check to apply for a marriage visa?

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm

I am not aware of any compulsory character checks including police certificates, etc. that are required for the spouse visa in the UK.

uksponge
Newly Registered

Post by uksponge » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:09 pm

no you dont have to provide any details.my fiancee apllyed in LA for her fiancee visa and she got it sorted in about 5days no problem.

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:26 pm

You don't have to supply any documentation to prove your background but you will have to fill in the application form (VAF2 - for spouse or fiancee) which does ask if you have any criminal convictions in any country. If this part of the form is filled in I would expect background checks to be carried out. I'm not sure if they are randomly carried out on some applications, just to check. It is a criminal offence to omit certain information from your form and if you are found out you may never be able to get a visa for the UK. When it comes to immigration it is always best to tell the truth.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:08 am

Jeff Albright wrote:I am not aware of any compulsory character checks including police certificates, etc. that are required for the spouse visa in the UK.
Although I would expect such character checks to be introduced in the relatively near future (Australia, Canada, US, NZ all have this in place already).

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:03 pm

JAJ wrote: Although I would expect such character checks to be introduced in the relatively near future (Australia, Canada, US, NZ all have this in place already).
I would embrace this idea with my both hands. This would stop anyone, particularly those involved in some terrorist activities, entering this country in the first place.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:16 pm

Do we know for sure that background checks - even if only "negative" ones - aren't already being carried out? We can be sure that there is a "warning list" which would be checked.

What we don't know is how big it is, how it is compiled, and the reasons for which someone might find himself listed in it.

It wouldn't surprise me if law enforcement authorities routinely exchange information which could, in the case of serious crime, find its way to IND. And if you and I can sign up to credit-check services as Experian, I don't think we can assume that the Home Office wouldn't think of doing so as well...

Perhaps it is safest to repeat the well-worn motto that it's not a good idea to tell untruths on visa applications...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....