ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Short on Income Requirement Tier 1 (General) Extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rushiparikh
Newly Registered

Short on Income Requirement Tier 1 (General) Extension

Post by rushiparikh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi,

I am currently in the UK on a Tier 1 (General) visa (2 + 3) and due for my first extension in October 2012.

The income criteria I need to meet to be eligible for a successful extension £35,000 and above.

I currently work as an Account Manager in an IT Company and draw only £20,000 as my basic salary plus OTE which additionally ranges between 6,000 - £7,000 annually.

My total gross is roughly £27,000 annually. I still find myself short on meeting the addition income requirement for a successful Extension.

Can anyone advice me on what my options could be to show the addition income for my application.

I have been told by a few Immigration Lawyers to register myself as a Self Employed Individual an pay into my account by cash or cheque for the difference in salary to meet the extension requirement.

They also mentioned to pay the Class 2 National Insurance contributions of £2.50 by Direct Debit.

I am not sure if this is the right way to go about it or would there be any tax implications eventually for the money I pay into my account showing myself self employed.

Are there other alternatives of getting this done?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Short on Income Requirement Tier 1 (General) Extension

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:39 pm

rushiparikh wrote:I have been told by a few Immigration Lawyers to register myself as a Self Employed Individual an pay into my account by cash or cheque for the difference in salary to meet the extension requirement.
Yes, assuming you earned the money from clients working in a SE capacity. It's not clear from your post as to where you are suggesting the additional money will come from.

rushiparikh
Newly Registered

Re: Short on Income Requirement Tier 1 (General) Extension

Post by rushiparikh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Lucapooka wrote:
rushiparikh wrote:I have been told by a few Immigration Lawyers to register myself as a Self Employed Individual an pay into my account by cash or cheque for the difference in salary to meet the extension requirement.
Yes, assuming you earned the money from clients working in a SE capacity. It's not clear from you post where you are suggesting the additional money comes from.

My only source of income is from my employment working for a IT Company. I don't have any self employed income as such at the moment.

But in order to bridge the gap between the Income requirement and my current Income; I was advised by a lawyer to first register myself as self employed and then pay in amounts (either by cash or from a friend's account) which would help me show the extra income.

I do understand this could be a grey area. But under the circumstances I face; are there other alternatives?

What would be the tax implications if I choose to go this way?

When would I have to pay the tax? end of the Financial Year 2013 or every time I deposit money into my account?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Short on Income Requirement Tier 1 (General) Extension T

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:54 pm

rushiparikh wrote:My only source of income is from my employment working for a IT Company. I don't have any self employed income as such at the moment.
Not yet! You would have to start. Your grey area is not grey at all; it would be dishonest deception, pure and simple. For a lawyer to suggest you do this is completely outrageous.

rushiparikh
Newly Registered

Re: Short on Income Requirement Tier 1 (General) Extension T

Post by rushiparikh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Lucapooka wrote:
rushiparikh wrote:My only source of income is from my employment working for a IT Company. I don't have any self employed income as such at the moment.
Not yet! You would have to start. Your grey area is not grey at all, it would be dishonest deception: pure and simple. For a lawyer to suggest you do this is completely outrageous.
This is what my thoughts were around the same; but he convinced me saying everyone does the same thing, which is when I have come here for seeking advice.

Well; as suggested; i have to start looking for other means of income.

One more question in my mind is?
I am a one of the Director's for my Dad's company which is based in Mumbai, India. I don't claim any earnings from there and most of my earnings is retained into the business.

Is it possible for me to use that retained income to show as earnings (I am sure there would not be any uplift ratio) for bridging the gap between my current income and required income if things should not change until my extension?

If yes, what documents would be required?

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:59 am

Hi Rushiparikh,

Why don't you just get a second job in the UK? You can probably do it on the weekends or at night.

£8,000 should not be difficult to attain in a second job and it will also mean that when you apply for your extension, your application will be straight forward.

Kind Regards

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:30 am

To boost your income, the best is registering as self employed. I have one one my friend, in the same situation. He registered as Self Employed and started selling products on eBay. He managed to bridge the gap of 10K. During that time, he even worked at Dominos.

It totally depends, what is the importance of the Tier 1 visa in your life. After all, success comes to those, who struggle for it.
The question is... to be or not to be....

rushiparikh
Newly Registered

Post by rushiparikh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 am

zahid.ali.anwar wrote:To boost your income, the best is registering as self employed. I have one one my friend, in the same situation. He registered as Self Employed and started selling products on eBay. He managed to bridge the gap of 10K. During that time, he even worked at Dominos.

It totally depends, what is the importance of the Tier 1 visa in your life. After all, success comes to those, who struggle for it.
Would registering as self employed be more favourable or forming a Ltd company with myself as a director with 100% shares?

How can we go getting either done?

-----------------------
Also, working 2 jobs is difficult for me; as i work from 9 - 6 everyday (Monday to Friday). by the time i get home; mostly after client meetings is about 8pm..

Weekends is something i could work on; but its difficult to get a job only for weekends - so far I haven't had any luck finding one..

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:19 am

rushiparikh wrote:
zahid.ali.anwar wrote:To boost your income, the best is registering as self employed. I have one one my friend, in the same situation. He registered as Self Employed and started selling products on eBay. He managed to bridge the gap of 10K. During that time, he even worked at Dominos.

Would registering as self employed be more favourable or forming a Ltd company with myself as a director with 100% shares?

-----------------------
Also, working 2 jobs is difficult for me; as i work from 9 - 6 everyday (Monday to Friday). by the time i get home; mostly after client meetings is about 8pm..

Weekends is something i could work on; but its difficult to get a job only for weekends - so far I haven't had any luck finding one..

Hi ,

You have 2 ways to fill your gap in the income

1) Got your self register as self employed and if your are in IT than you will hopefully find good amount of work in London . You have to work hard and must spend your weekends for the clients work.

2) Formation of limited company : It will need a good accountant and you can do contracting jobs , assignment with the clients . Allot of paper work , VAT registration , business insurance etc

So if you need a quick one it's 1 & and for longer term my best option to you is no:2 . ... Now please do some action before it's too late
Thanks

Ali

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:20 am

rushiparikh wrote:

-----------------------

Hi ,

You have 2 ways to fill your gap in the income

1) Got your self register as self employed and if your are in IT than you will hopefully find good amount of work in London . You have to work hard and must spend your weekends for the clients work.

2) Formation of limited company : It will need a good accountant and you can do contracting jobs , assignment with the clients . Allot of paper work , VAT registration , business insurance etc

So if you need a quick one it's 1 & and for longer term my best option to you is no:2 . ... Now please do some action before it's too late
Thanks

Ali