ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pls can my daughter apply for British Citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bolodeoku
Newly Registered

Pls can my daughter apply for British Citizenship?

Post by bolodeoku » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:07 pm

My 7 year old daughter is Irish by birth, holds an Irish Passport and has been living in the UK since October 2005. My wife and i do not have British Nationality, we are Nigerians schooling on a student visa in the UK. I wondered if she is entitled as an EEA national who has lived in the UK for Five years to apply for British citizenship regardless of the fact that we her parents are not British and do not have ILR?

If she can apply for BC based on having stayed in the UK for 5 years, would we need to pay the £540 fee or do we just apply for a British Passport for her which is free?

Many thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:53 pm

There are different rules for adults and children. The 5 years residence is only applicable to adults, not children. For a non-UK born child, British Citizenship can be applied when a parent applies for British citizenship.

So she can't apply for a British Citizenship.

BTW - Passport application is not free.