ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Marriage Visa for my wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 am

There is a test centre in Guangzhou but it is of the 'Internal' type so will not test and issue certificates to non-students.

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:19 pm

With regard to the 'Life in UK' test to get her ILR, and always assuming we get a Spouse Visa to start with, is there any set time within which my wife will have to take the 'Life in UK' test ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:07 pm

is there any set time within which my wife will have to take the 'Life in UK' test ?
Once she gets the spouse visa and is in the UK, and the choice to take will depend upon her English ability, she needs to get either a pass certificate from the Life in the UK test, or alternatively a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course.

She should aim to get one of those certificates before the end of her 27-month spouse visa, and as soon as she has it she can apply for ILR, thanks to the "KOL REQ" requirement.
John

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:51 am

Thanks for your reply John.

I have an UK agency helping me with documentation at the moment and they have advised that she must pass the 'Life in UK' Test within 6 months of arrival which seems quite a short amount of time to arrange for and complete the necessary course. Any idea why they might have stated this time limitation ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:55 am

Any idea why they might have stated this time limitation ?
I have not got a clue. Lack of competence?

In any case, as I stated previous, she has not got to pass the test, but instead can do a combined ESOL/Citizenship course.
John

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:59 am

Thanks again John.

I felt something wasn't right in their advice and will now be able to raise a query with confidence.

I'm afraid this is not the first time that I will have questioned the competence of the particular Case Officer I have been assigned to. :x

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:09 am

I have an UK agency helping me with documentation at the moment
Are you sure the agency is registered with OISC, or otherwise allowed to conduct an immigration business in the UK?

Do you really need to use an agency at all?
John

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:20 am

Hi John,

This is who I am using http://www.ukvisaandimmigration.co.uk/about-us.php

They claim that "We are level 3 OISC credited, which is the highest Accreditation an immigration firm can have regarding UK Immigration law."

I am using them because I am in China and felt I needed someone in the UK who could help me avoid any potential pitfalls in our application. Unfortunately, I didn't find this web forum until after I had engaged them.

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:47 am

You've gone quiet John.

I hope you don't work for them. :lol:

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Chinahand46 wrote:Hi John,

This is who I am using http://www.ukvisaandimmigration.co.uk/about-us.php

They claim that "We are level 3 OISC credited, which is the highest Accreditation an immigration firm can have regarding UK Immigration law."

I am using them because I am in China and felt I needed someone in the UK who could help me avoid any potential pitfalls in our application. Unfortunately, I didn't find this web forum until after I had engaged them.
if they are advising you incorrectly on such simple things as by when your wife needs to take the LITUK test then I would suggest seeking advice elsewhere.

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Unfortunately I've paid my money so have to live with them now :cry:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:15 pm

You've gone quiet John.
Unfortunately I've paid my money so have to live with them now
Trevor, firstly, I do not live on this board, and I am allowed to watch TV or even go to Church!

The fact that you have paid them money does not mean that you need to follow their advice.

I just wonder what else they are telling you. But clearly they are OISC-registered.
John

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Sorry for disturbing your Sunday John. I didn't actually expect any replies until after the weekend so please go watch TV now and enjoy your Sunday lunch.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Chinahand46 wrote:Unfortunately I've paid my money so have to live with them now :cry:
no you don't - they have given you incorect advice, complain and ask for your money back.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:28 pm

A few other points to note

- they may have advisors who are registered at OISC level 3, but this doesn't mean that all advisors are at level 3- so ask what level your advisor is.

- yes level 3 is the highest level for the OISC, but to say that it is the 'highest accreditation in UK immigration law' is slightly misleading - an OISC Level 3 advisor is not permitted for example to make applications to the high court- only solicitors can do this.

- staying with an advisor who is giving you poor advice purely because you have already given them money will probably waste more money in the long run.

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:11 am

I realise I'm looking well ahead but I've been searching the internet for organisations that do ESOL/LIUK Certificate Courses and one company keeps coming up.

http://www.lifeintheukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

Does anyone know of this company and, if so, whether their certificates are recognised by the UK Border Agency when applying for LTR.

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi

If you are doing the Life in the UK test here in the UK, you do not have to enroll for a course. I would suggest the following:

- Buy the training CD with the tests included (Amazon is selling one -
- Once ready book you test from UKBA approved center - http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice. ... ng_10.html

That is it.

Hope this was helpful...
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Trevor, I do not know of that company but as they only do their courses in London, and I am in Birmingham, there is no particular reason for me to have heard of them.

I think the main thing is get to the UK, and then start looking for a course. Do you know where in the UK you will be living?

Although I do not know of the company you link to, their website accurately describes the ESOL/Citizenship course. That is, have a simple test at the beginning to establish your level, do the course .... ESOL and Citizenship .... do the test again, to ensure that the language level has improved, and if it has a Completion Certificate will be issued.
John

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I was just seeing who does the courses and where they are in ralation to where I will be living, which is in Daventry.

Here's wishing all here a Very Merry Christmas & a Prosperous New Year.

Thanks for all your help.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

I would be amazed if a town the size of Daventry had an ESOL/Citizenship course. However I see that this company do run courses in Birmingham, Leicester and Luton.
John

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:49 pm

That's brilliant John. Thank you so much. They even have a centre in Guangzhou so I will give them a ring tomorrow. It might save us a trip to Beijing.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:51 pm

This site might be of interest, but do ensure that the course is both ESOL and Citizenship.
John

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks again John. You're too kind.

Chinahand46

Post by Chinahand46 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Well I think I've finally found the solution to the English Speaking & Listening Test requirements. Up to now everything had directed me towards the Cambridge University KET Test which requires a pass in both Reading & Writing as well as Speaking & Listening to get an A1 Pass Certificate. To make matters worse even the Speaking and Listening elements require some reading & writing skills.

I have now discovered that there is a much better alternative which is the Trinity College London GESE Test which is a simple 10 minute aural test. A Pass at Grade 2 level gets an A1 Certificate that is accepted by the UKBA. To add the cherry on the cake there is a Test Centre here in Guilin instead of having to travel 1000 miles to Beijing for the KET.

I call that a result.