ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Graduate job on Tier 4 (Student) visa BEFORE PSW

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

waldo3002

Graduate job on Tier 4 (Student) visa BEFORE PSW

Post by waldo3002 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I've got a quick question. I've been working for my company on a new graduate role since 4th of July 2011. I am current on a student visa and looking to apply for PSW on the 20th of September 2011. The role is a permanent one and I did mention this to my employer that I can't work unless they provide me with a temporary contract and then a fixed one when I get my PSW.

My company responded to my E-mail by saying that they have been researching options and that I can work on a permanent contract on my student visa provided I supply them with a letter from my university that confirms my start and end date of the course. The contract date would then be issued after the end date. However, I've been seeing alot of information online that just states I can't work on a permanent position.

I'm just wondering what would happen when I go for my visa application appointment on the 20th. Do I need to tell my employer that they need to change my contract ASAP or what they've done is right?

Any answer would be appreciated!

Many thanks

waldo3002

Post by waldo3002 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Just to let you guys know that you are not allowed to work on a permanent contract. What my employer did was incorrect and as such have issued me with a temporary contract back dated to my previous start date.

This will show I've been a temporary worker and hence not get my PSW rejected.

Hope this information will help others.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:58 am

make sure it is NOT said anywhere during your psw app that you filled 'permanent' position.....

if they find out...that constitute as a breach of immig. rules with serious consequences

sheethal
Newly Registered

Post by sheethal » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:02 pm

I am also concerned about same issue. especially this term "permanent full-time vacancy"

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... #623996682

Will the companies have this scheme u mentioned called "Temparary contract"??

and again, the title which will be given for my job is like "Graduate engineer" which actually shows that I am doing a proper full-time job. I am wondering whether this will cause any issue when I apply for PSW?

waldo3002

Post by waldo3002 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Have you started your job already? If not then you should switch to a PSW visa before you start work asap. If this not possible then you ask your employer for a fixed term contract or a temporary contract until you obtain a PSW visa.

Remember a condition of your student visa is that you should not pursue a career by filling a permanent vacancy. You should speak to visa representatives in your uni/college for help if needed.

Good luck

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:17 pm

see if you can get ur employer to issue you a 'contract' from July till the-date-you-would-apply-for psw" :P

That way you can prove that you never filled a permanent vacancy:)

Kingstonking
Newly Registered

Permanent Vacancy

Post by Kingstonking » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Bumping this thread.

Need some guidance from you guys on the permanent vacancy issue. My situation at present is as below:

1) I have applied for a PSW visa
2) I have secured a position in a company - start work in Mid Jan 2012.
3) The contract clearly says that there is a probation period of 6 months and a review will be conducted after 6 months.

I will be permanent after being assessed with satisfactory performance in the first 6 months.

Is this a satisfactory (temporary) employment condition. or will i have to take any further measures?

Please advice. Many thanks for your help

wazobia

Re: Permanent Vacancy

Post by wazobia » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:19 am

Kingstonking wrote:Bumping this thread.

Need some guidance from you guys on the permanent vacancy issue. My situation at present is as below:

1) I have applied for a PSW visa
2) I have secured a position in a company - start work in Mid Jan 2012.
3) The contract clearly says that there is a probation period of 6 months and a review will be conducted after 6 months.

I will be permanent after being assessed with satisfactory performance in the first 6 months.

Is this a satisfactory (temporary) employment condition. or will i have to take any further measures?

Please advice. Many thanks for your help
Most permanent posts I know of always have some sort of probationary period. The point is you can either join an organisation on a permanent position (your pay rate is defined as a monthly one, and you get all the benefits that come with it, for example pension, gym membership, private healthcare, etc) or on a contract position (your rate is normally defined as an hourly one, and you don't get the benefits listed above AND the contract states the amount of time you are hired to work)

As the OP has mentioned, it is better to speak to the HR of the company and get them to change your status.