ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP ILR - employment start date on HR letter

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stewie
Newly Registered

WP ILR - employment start date on HR letter

Post by stewie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 am

Hi,

Firstly, thanks very much for this wonderful forum, extremely useful !!!

I am on 5yr work permit, due to apply for ILR soon. I wanted to ask if it is obligatory (or advisable) to have employment start date stated on HR letter? Can I ask them to state "employed based on work permit" rather than "employed from xx.xx.xxxx", will this be ok for the PEO?

The reason I am asking this is because I have commenced this employment while on a student visa (after finishing my classes and getting my final results). At the same time my employer applied for WP, which was stamped 1.5 months after I started.

Any advice?

Many thanks!!!

stewie
Newly Registered

Post by stewie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 am

Any thoughts please? Thank you

Daphne_ZA
Newly Registered

Post by Daphne_ZA » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:07 am

We had a similar situation as my husband was on a 2 year working holiday visa working at the company before applying for a work permit. I spoke to a immigration lawyer about it and they said to only include info about the work permit. So, on your employer letter your start date should reflect your first working day under your work permit.

stewie
Newly Registered

Post by stewie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks Daphne.

I think working holiday visa is a little bit different though, since:

"A working holiday visa differed from UK work permits .... in that its main purpose was not to bring immigrants to the country to fill job vacancies but to grant leave to enter the UK to those interested in working overseas."
http://www.Named OISC advisers.com/uk_immigrati ... _visa.html

So I guess someone on working holiday visa was not supposed to switch to work permit, hence the good advise from your lawyer.

Students however could switch to work permit.

So my question is still open: is it ok to have my empoyment start date on HR letter (which started while I was on student visa, 1.5 months BEFORE my work permit was issued) or shall I ask the HR to word it differently and mention my work permit issue date instead? Any suggestions for a wording? Thanks!

cssaini
Newly Registered

Post by cssaini » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:32 am

Hi stewie
I was very much like you and recently got my ILR approved. I came here as student and got the job with my company while I was still student before they applied for my WP. I included the date from the date I got my 5 year FLR stamped on the visa not when I started with the company. So like Daphne said above just include the information about the WP..no need to give them the whole history because your ILR will be based on continuous 5 year WP.
Thanks

stewie
Newly Registered

Post by stewie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks very much cssaini and congratulations ;)

Would you mind telling me the exact wording you used? I am struggling a bit right now.... Many thanks

cssaini
Newly Registered

Post by cssaini » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Please check my previous post at link below:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Basically my case was bit different and slightly complicated as I didn't have any COP plus my WP was in closed category. But in your case if all fine with COP than just use the same language and format your letter matching your COP. But first sentence of the letter will answer your query about date to be use and I used the letter very much like it’s on my post.

Thanks and good luck.

stewie
Newly Registered

Post by stewie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:38 pm

I followed your suggestions, so my letter states the start date of WP, which makes a lot of sense!

Fingers crossed and many thanks!