ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SEGs Scheme

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rob911

SEGs Scheme

Post by rob911 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:12 am

Very few people on the forum seem to share information about the SEGs scheme, not sure whether this is becuase no one knows much or aren't really responding to SEGs queries? Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone has any comments on the SEGs visa and the process in obtaining it and experience post-obtaining the visa. I've read through the qualification criteria very carefully and I do qualify to apply under the scheme. Am I able to apply under the scheme a few months before my student visa expires or would I have to wait the usual 4 or so weeks before my student visa expires in order to apply? I also wanted to find out if anyone knows how welcoming employers are to people with the SEGs visa? any comments will be greatly appreciated

rob911

Post by rob911 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 am

Hi Guys, does no one know anything about the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme? Please see query above, any advice/comments?

Swan

Re: SEGS

Post by Swan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi
I have applied to SEGS in January and got an approval in 3 weeks!
I provided all the documents they asked for and sent the application by post. (I know another friend who did it lately and got the approval straight away too)
I got a job 2 months later and my employer applied for a work permit for me, having SEGS helped by giving me more time to look and apply for jobs.
Employers don't really know what SEGS mean, but having a residence permit for one year can be attractive to an employer who needs you urgently but would want to know you better before engaging in applying for a work permit for you.
good luck

rob911

Post by rob911 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:46 am

Hi Swan, Thanks for the post. thats quite encouraging. I assumed that the SEGS is a good way of getting you in the door with an employer because, as you said, its basically like a one year residence pemrit. I guess you had to explain that whereever you applied for though? Do you have to apply in the usual 4 weeks before your current stay expires or do they allow you to apply straight after you graduate? asking because I have a few months of leave left even after I graduate. Also my tutor is the most unreliable person I know and I was thinking he may delay my application seeing as they need to contact him and he is never reachable either by phone or email! Were employers quite welcoming during your application process or did they always have a blank look when you mentioned SEGS :wink: .If you you got your SEGS in January, how come you have gotten a work permit as well, don't you have to wait for your SEGS leave to reach close to expiration before applying for a work permit?

futuristic762000
Newly Registered

Good intentions from the UK gov, unrecognizable by employers

Post by futuristic762000 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:21 pm

I must say that the SEGS is very useful and has been initiated with good intetions, but it is surprised to see that when one applies for a job with a SEGS visa with companies like Microsof, IBM, EDS, the first question the ask you is to know weather your a British Citizen on if your visa has an indefinate leave to remain.
I actually find this scenerio discouraging for foreigners trying to begin a career in the UK.
Even employers willing to give SEGS holders an opportunity, are not even aware of a SEGS holder been qualified for a WP.
The government needs to do more to provide SEGS holders a clear opportunity, instead of making it one year, they should try and make it a least two years; this will entice employers to employ qualified foreigners who have been educated in the UK;most SEGS holders are actually doing jobs that they cant even dream of doing even if they had no degree from a UK university

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Working for Microsoft and IBM is totally over-rated!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:22 am

joesoap101 wrote:Working for Microsoft and IBM is totally over-rated!
Working for CSC was the worst job I ever had. Sun was good, and so was BNFL. CSC tho.....

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:37 am

SEGS has been replaced by another, not too different though.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2007_04_ ... me_igs.htm
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

laavanyashni
Newly Registered

SEGS inquiry

Post by laavanyashni » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:23 pm

hi, i graduated in july 2006 (BSc) and i renewed my visa thinking i will continue to study masters.then i realised that i better find work experience before further studies. I checked a few links and everything says that application must be done within 12 months of course completion.what does this means, graduation or submission of project or date i got my results? i found different info everywhere.i m sure my course is listed as an eligible course.does anyone know about this? thanks