ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR under long residency or WP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ronnng

ILR under long residency or WP

Post by ronnng » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi guys, is me again......

i'm asking this on behalf of my frend, he was planning to apply for his ILR around now but becoz of the change under WP (started Nov 2002), now he has to wait for another year. So we were thinking, coz he first came to UK on January 1997, he was student, tourist (only 3 months) then student, then WP till now. During these 9 years ++, he didn't leave the country for more than one year in total and no longer than 3 months in any given period.. mainly for holiday. now the question is, if apply for ILR under long residency which he would be eligible in Dec 2006 and if apply for ILR under WP which have to wait till Oct 2007. which would be better chance for him to get ILR :?:

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:22 am

Anybody?? please help... all advise welcome >> :cry:

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:05 am

You know, this is really a push. The only advantage, if there is any, is that he may receive his ILR nine months sooner with the 10 years route than with the WP route. He's going to have to pay the same amount for both, however. If he goes the 10 year route, he needs a £335/£500 extension until December/January plus another £335/500 for the ILR. Same for the WP scenario, but he will apply for ILR in October 2007 instead of January 2007.

There is slightly more scrutiny given to 10 year applications than to straightforward WP ones, but again, it's really a push. If I were your friend, I'd be mostly indifferent, but not entirely. Given the delays that might occur with a 10-year ILR application, I would make that application in person and pay the requisite £500.

Mind you, there is continued rumbling about points-based settlement and "society tests" for ILR applicants. I doubt that these will be in place by October 2007, but again, who knows for sure.

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:23 am

If he goes the 10 year route, he needs a £335/£500 extension until December/January
Why does he needs extension if he's current WP expire in end of 2007?

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:25 am

i think what he really concern is about the changes, as you said there are rumours about points-based settlement and stuffs, so he was wondering whichever way would be quicker for him to get ILR status. as you said, who knows waht's gonna hit us....

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:20 pm

ronnng wrote:
If he goes the 10 year route, he needs a £335/£500 extension until December/January
Why does he needs extension if he's current WP expire in end of 2007?
your original post did not specify that. i assumed that his current leave ended this year.

you know the costs and procedure yourself it seems. you just need to make the assessment and decide.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:21 am

RobinLondon wrote:You know, this is really a push. The only advantage, if there is any, is that he may receive his ILR nine months sooner with the 10 years route than with the WP route.
Which would remove the risk of job being lost, or ILR rules changing, in that 9 month period.

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:46 am

Which would remove the risk of job being lost, or ILR rules changing, in that 9 month period
but if he apply ILR under 10 years long residency, how long would it takes? as RobinLondon said, this route is more complicated, and on another topic i read it would take up to years to decided ??

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:50 am

I'm not sure that the comment in the other topic was necessarily correct. I'm sure that some ten-year applications take a long time - and this may well have been common, before the ten-year provision was incorporated into the Immigration Rules. (It was a "concession" before...)

But I have seen reports of people making in-person applications at PEOs, and having them granted the same day. So I think that - provided the supporting evidence is conclusive - your friend need not worry too much on this score.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:06 pm

provided the supporting evidence is conclusive
What kind of evidence would he need to apply for ILR under 10 years long residency?

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:59 pm

Anybody applied for ILR under 10 years long residency? All comments/experiences are welcome.. Thanks

SWEET_AIR
Newly Registered

successful application

Post by SWEET_AIR » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:15 pm

I applied for my ILR under 10-year long residence category successfully back in August this year - the process for me was very simple - see my previous thread http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

hope it helps