ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby born before ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

minicooper
Newly Registered

Baby born before ILR

Post by minicooper » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi
Im hoping to apply for ILR in end of august but my baby is due in anytime now.I want to findout is it better to apply with the baby in ILR application or leave the baby out and apply after we both get our ILR if so what do we have to do next for the baby for his/her passports .Does anyone know

Many thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:46 pm

As this is a British citizenship forum, I presume you are referring to British citizenship and not ILR.

If baby born before either parent had ILR, you can apply to register him as British once either parents have been granted ILR. The baby doesn't need to have ILR himself (if that save you money). The form to use to register him as British is MN1. The application costs £540 and takes about a month. Once the application is approved, the child is British and can apply for a British passport (takes up to 3 weeks).

minicooper
Newly Registered

Post by minicooper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:34 am

Thank you very much for your reply. i think first me and my partner will apply for ILR and then apply the baby with MN1 as you advised.

kamal.gulati
Newly Registered

ILR for baby

Post by kamal.gulati » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:43 pm

My baby born before one month of my ILR appointment next month....Just wanted to know if you were able to get your baby register as a british citizenship.

What about baby birth registration? Is it better to register him after getting ILR??? As per rule he needs to be register within next 6 weeks.

Please let me know what documents required.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: ILR for baby

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:05 pm

kamal.gulati wrote:What about baby birth registration? Is it better to register him after getting ILR??? As per rule he needs to be register within next 6 weeks.
You are mixing two different registrations:

1. Registering the birth - this needs to be done within 42 days of the birth and has nothing to do with British citizenship. All births in the UK need to be registered regardless of the child and/or parents nationality/immigration status. During this process, a birth certificate is issued.

2. Registration as a British Citizen - in your case, this can only be done after you are granted ILR.

sur
Newly Registered

Post by sur » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:39 am

hi Guys,
I just wanted to know if a child born to parents with ILR is automatically a british citizen if born in the UK or do we have to register the baby as one? If so what is the procedure? also pl tell me what if the baby is born abroad to ILR parents?

The direct.gov.uk website says that birth certificate alone cannot prove the baby is british and other documents may have to be provided. So i wanted to know what other documents do we submit?

Will a new born also get a passport within 1 week in fast track service?

Thank You,

Kind Regards,
Sur

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:49 am

sur wrote:if a child born to parents with ILR is automatically a british citizen if born in the UK
Yes.
sur wrote:if the baby is born abroad to ILR parents?
Child is non-British. Child will need to apply for a child settlement entry clearance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:14 am

sur wrote: The direct.gov.uk website says that birth certificate alone cannot prove the baby is british and other documents may have to be provided. So i wanted to know what other documents do we submit?

Will a new born also get a passport within 1 week in fast track service?.
If born in the UK he is British from birth and you can apply for a passport for him. A birth certificate + parent passport showing ILR is required in the application. Fast track is also available for new born.

sur
Newly Registered

Post by sur » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:36 am

thanks guys for the quick reply. Really appreciate it.

raj15
Newly Registered

Child born 1 month before receving the ILR

Post by raj15 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:23 pm

HI ,

I have applied for ILR in feb 2012 and received my ILR today 20/07 with Stamp dated 16 th July

My child was born in June and I am not sure weather I can apply British passport of not ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Child born 1 month before receving the ILR

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:12 pm

raj15 wrote:HI ,

I have applied for ILR in feb 2012 and received my ILR today 20/07 with Stamp dated 16 th July

My child was born in June and I am not sure weather I can apply British passport of not ?
To be able to apply for British passport, the child needs to be British. He is not British as he was born before you had ILR. The country of birth (UK or abroad) has also some implications.

See more in Q1 Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - Children.

HKDK

MN1 queries

Post by HKDK » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 am

Hi,

I got my ILR few days back and now I am applying for Registration of my child (20 month old) under 18 as a british citizen. I will be sending following documents along with the application.
1) Full birth certificate
2) Child Passport
3) Marriage Certificate
4) Parents Biometric ILR

do I need to send any other document other than the ones mentioned above? Please confirm

Query 2:
Section 6: Consent to the application.
Topic 6.5- Child's consent where they are making an application on their own behalf.
As my child is just 20 months old do I have to fill this point. As we are applying for MN1 I believe we don't need to fill our details under the point 6.4 Guardians consent.

I would be highly thankful to you if you could clarify the above

Kind Regards

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: MN1 queries

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 am

HKDK wrote:Hi,

I got my ILR few days back and now I am applying for Registration of my child (20 month old) under 18 as a british citizen. I will be sending following documents along with the application.
1) Full birth certificate
2) Child Passport
3) Marriage Certificate
4) Parents Biometric ILR

do I need to send any other document other than the ones mentioned above? Please confirm
See similar question: Documents for Child MN1 Registration, Parents with ILR.
Query 2:
Section 6: Consent to the application.
Topic 6.5- Child's consent where they are making an application on their own behalf.
As my child is just 20 months old do I have to fill this point. As we are applying for MN1 I believe we don't need to fill our details under the point 6.4 Guardians consent.
Just 6.1 & 6.2

Vasanthauk
Newly Registered

urgent

Post by Vasanthauk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:17 pm

we submitted our application in the july 2012. baby born on sep 2012.
we received bio metric card with issue date mar'13. but the expiry date is july'2022. i get confused whether can i take british passport for my son or not.