ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I qualify for naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DeanSmith
Newly Registered

Do I qualify for naturalisation?

Post by DeanSmith » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 pm

I came to the the United Kingdom from Zimbabwe in 1999 on a two year working holiday visa.I overstayed my visa and in May 2006 I claimed asylum which was turned down.My following appeal was also unsuccessful so although i was technically not supposed to be in the country the Home Office were not sending Zimbabweans back to Zimbabwe because of the political unrest at that time.

In January 2009 i made a fresh asylum claim and was granted ILR in October 2010.This leave was granted exceptionally outside the immigration rules.It has now been more than a year since i received my ILR.Can i apply for naturalisation now bearing in mind that i did not have any status between 2006-2009?

Thanking you in advance for your response :D [/b]

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:50 am

Not before October 2015.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rajaiizahir
Newly Registered

You need to wait for some time

Post by rajaiizahir » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:32 pm

As far as I know the rule is - you can apply for citizenship after completing 14 years in case of illegal stay. But for any legal stay it is 10 years. So it is 14 years for you.

osteophytes

Re: You need to wait for some time

Post by osteophytes » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:52 am

rajaiizahir wrote:As far as I know the rule is - you can apply for citizenship after completing 14 years in case of illegal stay. But for any legal stay it is 10 years. So it is 14 years for you.
Wrong advice! You are talking about ILR.

He/She can apply in Oct 2015 (5 years legal residence)