ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NORTHERN IRELAND

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abelicon
Newly Registered

NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by abelicon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:35 pm

HI guys , just some few questions please. I am a family member of an Irish citizen. ( dual citizen, british/ irish).We reside in belfast. I like to know if I will require a visa to visit ROI. and what DOCUMENTS I have to get to make me eligible to work in ROI. I have a UK residence permit that was issued under EU regulations.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 pm

abelicon wrote:HI guys , just some few questions please. I am a family member of an Irish citizen. ( dual citizen, british/ irish).We reside in belfast. I like to know if I will require a visa to visit ROI. and what DOCUMENTS I have to get to make me eligible to work in ROI. I have a UK residence permit that was issued under EU regulations.
It depends on whether you come from a country that requires a visa to come into the South. Eg most of Africa, some of Asia, some of the Caribenan Countries. See INIS website. If not, no need for visa.

If so, technically, regardless of your spouse being Irish nationality (it would be arguable that by returning to the south he is exercising EU rights) or British Nationality (definitely exercising EU rights), BOTH Irish Immigration Law (if coming on basis of being Irish) and EU law (it allows domestics to retain visa requirements but they must not make it problematic) would say, technically, yes, you need a visa.

As you are aware, Northern Ireland is under the British Jurisdiction.

While I said technically, Practically, you won't be stopped or checked at the borders. That, however would not be me suggesting that you do nothing. I would warn you that the cops will be out in force over the Christmas for drinking driving, though, immigration will be the least of their worries.

Talk to Solvit or the Irish authorities (good luck with that)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:32 pm

If you are accompanying your Irish/British Spouse and have a British Issued Residence Card for Family member of EU national, then you do not need a visa to enter Ireland.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:04 pm

well, that is that sorted then.

That is a first for government