ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RESIDENCE CARD AND BENEFITS.

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

abelicon
Newly Registered

RESIDENCE CARD AND BENEFITS.

Post by abelicon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi felas, I need a bit of advice . As a non european family member of an eu citizen (by marriage ), can I claim job seekers benefits and what effect that will have in future. I have residence card valid for 5 yrs. Pls dont get me wrong, I am despirately searching for jobs and I even have some upcoming intervievs.Unfortunately that has been my position for 6 months since I got my RC. ( lots of interviews bot no jobs yet ).I just want to know my options. My wife is working with about £1000 income.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Yes you are allowed to claim jobseekers allowance as your wife is a worker. However as she is in employment, i find it hard to see you getting much.

She could claim extra tax credit for the pair of you which would further increase your domestic income, until you manage to find a job
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

abelicon
Newly Registered

Post by abelicon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Thank you sir. would this affect any future applications.eg ILR

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:13 pm

abelicon wrote:Thank you sir. would this affect any future applications.eg ILR
ILR is for applications under the immigration rules, Permanent Residence (PR) is the equivalent term for acquiring settlement under the EEA regs.

You claiming JSA will not effect your ability to acquire PR, however, unless you have sufficient National Insurance contributions in order to claim contribution based JSA, you won't be eligible for income based JSA if your wife is earning £1000 per month.