ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I have a big problem. Big.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

edthesock
Newly Registered

I have a big problem. Big.

Post by edthesock » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:35 pm

I go tomorrow for a visa extension for my UK ancestry visa. I have just realized I have lost my birth certificate and my grandparents marriage certificate. These were official stamped copies that I got for my original visa. I had taken them to the Croydon office to make sure they were usable for my extension application. I must have thrown them away by accident. I have everything else so how bad am I screwed? What can I do at this point? My original visa is up on the 6th of Jan.

edthesock
Newly Registered

Post by edthesock » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:19 pm

So I went to the appointment anyway in the hopes that my passport and my original visa would be good enough and had no luck. The guy told me to book another appointment and come back with my birth certificate. I explained that my visa is up on the 6th of Jan. and that I would be here illegally for a few weeks until my new appointment that is on 27 Jan. He said it would not be a problem. Is that not a bit odd?

ruskcake

Post by ruskcake » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:11 am

edthesock wrote:So I went to the appointment anyway in the hopes that my passport and my original visa would be good enough and had no luck. The guy told me to book another appointment and come back with my birth certificate. I explained that my visa is up on the 6th of Jan. and that I would be here illegally for a few weeks until my new appointment that is on 27 Jan. He said it would not be a problem. Is that not a bit odd?
Did you ask him to write this down "that it would not be a problem" on official paper and sign it?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:58 pm

there is usually 28-day grace period at the end of each visa where you are classed as an over stayer but with no penalty...so caseworker might be alluding to it.

ruskcake

Post by ruskcake » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:59 pm

arsenal49 wrote:there is usually 28-day grace period at the end of each visa where you are classed as an over stayer but with no penalty...so caseworker might be alluding to it.
You use the word "usually", that does not sound re-assuring.

edthesock
Newly Registered

Post by edthesock » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:57 am

I went back the next day for clarification and decided to get in in the post. On one hand I save £300. On the other hand I cant travel home for a long awaited visit for at the very least 3 months!