ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for new born British Passport in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sagarjv

Applying for new born British Passport in India

Post by sagarjv » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:38 am

Hi All

I am a british citizen (through HSMP) and my wife is an Indian citizen (and she also have British In-definate Leave to Remain visa). We are expecting a baby next month. My wife is in India for delivery.

We want the yet to be born baby to get British Citizenship and as I am a British citizen, baby will be eligible for British Citizenship.

I think following are Visa/Passport options, I can foresee following options available for us:

A.
- We can apply for baby's British Citizenship/Passport (as I am British Citizen) in India and it could take up to 3-4 months
- Baby's Exit Visa process 1 week
B.
- Apply for Indian Passport (as "baby's mother/my wife" is Indian citizen). This could take 20 days.
- Apply for British Visa. This is expected to take the maximum of 2 weeks
- Once they come to UK, we can denounce Indian citizenship and apply for British Citizenship lliesurely

Can anyone have experience of the similar kind, please share your thoughts and pros/cons of each of the options listed above.

Regards
Sagar

raghu2627
Newly Registered

Post by raghu2627 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi,

I had a similar experience but in my case me and my wife are both British Citizens so we only had one option i.e to apply British Passport for my baby.

I took 4 months to get British passport for my baby. I had to make 1 trip to British High commission in New Delhi to apply the passport(passport applications are accepted only in BHC New Delhi in person or by post).

Once we got the British passport then we had to take entry visa(not exit visa) for the new born baby in India which is only issue by MHA(Ministry of Home Affairs), New Delhi. So had to make another trip to New Delhi(No need to take baby but I went with my baby just in case if they insist to see the baby). Submitted the application in the morning and Visa order (addressed to local FRRO where the baby is living in India) was ready for collection in the evening.

Submitted the visa order from MHA to local FRRO and it took a week to get the entry visa stamped in the baby's Britsh passport. Finally we could able to bring the baby back to UK.

Regards
Raghu

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 am

Dear Raghu2627,

I am in similar situation. What documents do you need to present to apply for British Passport from India?

raghu2627
Newly Registered

Post by raghu2627 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

Hi ric1982,

We submitted the below documents along with the passport application.

1) Both parents original Naturalisation certificates
2) Both parents original British passport. Since I needed my British passport to travel back to UK, I got copy of all pages of my british passport attested by a solicitor in UK(Note it has to be attested by a UK solicitor). They will cross check the attested copy with the original passport and will return the original British passport to you.
3) Parents Marriage certificate
4) Baby's local Municipal Birth Certificate
5) Mother's Delivery Discharge summary certificate from the hospital where the baby is born.
6) Mother's whole medical reports during the pregnancy(including scan reports and any scan pictures). We included both medical reports and scans from UK and India.
7) 4 to 5 family photographs with the Baby with atleast one photograph showing baby with both parents and any other another family members.
8 ) Baby's vaccination card.

Regards
Raghu

sagarjv

Hello

Post by sagarjv » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi Raghu

Thanks for useful information.
Can any body who were in similar situation, please post information.

Regards
Sagar

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 am

Thanks Raghu for the detail reply.

I have following further questions I would be really grateful I can get reply.

(1) Both parents got ILR at the moment and not the BS. Would it be an issue when getting British Passport for the Baby?

Many thanks,

boloney

Post by boloney » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:38 am

ric1982 wrote:Thanks Raghu for the detail reply.

(1) Both parents got ILR at the moment and not the BS. Would it be an issue when getting British Passport for the Baby?

Many thanks,
Where was your child born?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:17 pm

boloney wrote:

Many thanks,
Baby Born in UK.

boloney

Post by boloney » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:46 pm

ric1982 wrote:
boloney wrote:

Many thanks,
Baby Born in UK.
Did you or your wife hold ILR when child was born?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:57 am

boloney wrote:
ric1982 wrote:
boloney wrote:

Many thanks,
Baby Born in UK.
No

boloney

Post by boloney » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:18 pm

ric1982 wrote:
boloney wrote:
ric1982 wrote:
boloney wrote: Where was your child born?
Baby Born in UK.
No
So you need to register your child as a british citizen first before you can apply for passport.
Have you done so yet?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:31 pm

boloney wrote:
ric1982 wrote:
boloney wrote:
ric1982 wrote:
Baby Born in UK.
No
So you need to register your child as a british citizen first before you can apply for passport.
Have you done so yet?
Yes Child is registered as British Citizen and we got her certificate.

One of the reason I asked this question is becouse on the required documents lists its asking for Parent's British Certificate! Which we dont have.

Here's the link to that document : http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/resource ... ation.pdf1

boloney

Post by boloney » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:47 pm

ric1982 wrote:

One of the reason I asked this question is becouse on the required documents lists its asking for Parent's British Certificate! Which we dont have.

Here's the link to that document : http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/resource ... ation.pdf1
I would provide you passport with ILR instead of `Parent's British Certificate`.
I just don`t know what does it means.
Do you mean parents birth certificate or naturalization certificate?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:53 pm

boloney wrote:
ric1982 wrote:

I would provide you passport with ILR instead of `Parent's British Certificate`.
I just don`t know what does it means.
Do you mean parents birth certificate or naturalization certificate?
Sorry I meant "Applicant's parents' UK Nationality/Registration certificate or Long Birth Certificate(s)." We dont have either.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:03 pm

ric1982 wrote: Sorry I meant "Applicant's parents' UK Nationality/Registration certificate or Long Birth Certificate(s)." We dont have either.
You should be fine. I guess the people who wrote the document did not think of a case when a child is registered as BC while he is in India and parents are not British.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Jambo wrote:
ric1982 wrote: Sorry I meant "Applicant's parents' UK Nationality/Registration certificate or Long Birth Certificate(s)." We dont have either.
You should be fine. I guess the people who wrote the document did not think of a case when a child is registered as BC while he is in India and parents are not British.
Thanks Jumbo. I hope this is true.

Can someone else put their views on this?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Just to add to my previous post - the list of documents is needed to establish the child identity and claim to British nationality. Having a Registration Certificate proves that he is British. It can't get more formal than that.

If applied in the UK for a first child passport, the parents' passports/certificate are not needed. Just the Registration certificate (to prove he is British) and UK birth certificate + foreign passport (if exist) to prove identity.

boloney

Post by boloney » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:48 pm

ric1982 wrote:
Jambo wrote:
Thanks Jumbo. I hope this is true.

Can someone else put their views on this?
I stick with Jambo, your child did get BC because of your nationality, so there should be No problem with registration certificate.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:35 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

neo4403
Newly Registered

Post by neo4403 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Sorry to dig this post now, I am also in the same situation and while searching I found this post which was very informative, almost 70% of my doubta are cleared but need more info if possible pls:

1. I am a BC by naturalisation and wife is ILR, currently 4 months preggy now in India, expecting to stay there until delivery
2. As my wife is also eligible for BC we are planning to apply for her British citizenship and pp in India if possible - has anyone applied like this before??
3. As per Raghu's info I look forwarding to apply for British pp for the baby

My wife will be calling the Delhi High Commission to get some info and I will have to do the same here in UK in the meanwhile..

Many thanks

Kaz