ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will my ILR be revoked?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Satya80
Newly Registered

Will my ILR be revoked?

Post by Satya80 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:59 pm

Hello... I'm looking for a bit of advice. I think that I might lose my ILR and I just want to be prepared in case this happens.

Please let me start by giving a bit of background:

I'm a US citizen and married a British citizen in 2003 (in England). I obtained my ILR as soon as I could. We had 7 happy years until my ex made a revelation in 2010 that changed everything. I won't go into detail but I will say that I was the complete and utter loser. I lost my home, my cats, nearly all of my personal things I'd accumulated over the years, and most of all I lost my pride. I was made redundant at work not long after this revelation and I found myself completely stuck with no stable source of income and no alternative but to return to the US where I had family. I moved back there in April of this year.

I never obtained citizenship because we had always intended to live in the US long term and ... it's hard to describe. I did not feel comfortable seeking citizenship in a place that I might not be living long term. Call it weird morals if you will. I paid my taxes like everyone else, I felt as much a part of the scenery as anyone else. I worked hard for everything I had. I never expected a free lunch, never had unemployment or benefits, worked more hours than I was paid for.

I took a trip in August of this year to pack up the remainder of my things. It was painful. The immigration official was very suspicious of my absence since April but technically my ex and I were still married at that time so he let me through without much questioning.

Long story short, I feel more than cheated. Feelings aside, I am planning a short trip to visit old friends next Spring. I will be divorced then. I am homesick. Is there any point in me standing in the shorter queue at immigration with my old passport or should I just kiss my ILR goodbye for good? Have I also lost any chance of obtaining citizenship?

For my own sanity, I have to let some things go this New Year. It would be good to know under the circumstances whether any hope of living and working in the UK again is one of them.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really appreciate it.

-S

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:05 pm

ILR can be revoked if you have absences of 2 years or more. In your case I belive that you are outside the UK for 9 months only (April-11 to Dec-11) so there should not be any problem. You can still apply for citizenship but you should not have more than 3 months absences in the last 12 months.

alipa

Post by alipa » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:46 am

Sky_High wrote:ILR can be revoked if you have absences of 2 years or more. In your case I belive that you are outside the UK for 9 months only (April-11 to Dec-11) so there should not be any problem. You can still apply for citizenship but you should not have more than 3 months absences in the last 12 months.
How Immigration Staff knows that an applicant remaind outside UK for more than 3 Months?

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:21 pm

This has been discussed here for thousands time. I recomend to be honest in ur application. If u misguide them in application form and they find out the truth than you can imagine the end results.

:oops:

Satya80
Newly Registered

Post by Satya80 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Thank you for the replies. I have no intention of lying about anything! I will hold onto the ILR and tough it out. If they decide to revoke it on one of my trips I will have little choice in the matter.