ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do i qualify without a permanent residence status letter?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DimitriosK
Newly Registered

Do i qualify without a permanent residence status letter?

Post by DimitriosK » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:36 am

Hi,

I am a Greek national residing in the UK since 9/2002. I would like to apply for naturalisation and i am a bit confused in regards to the requirement for the Permanent residence status and the residential qualifying period. The time line is as per below

9-2002 arrival in the UK
9/2002 until 10-2005 University Student. I can obtain a letter confirming my studies.
3/2003 until 8-2006 part time worker in pub. I might not be able to produce evidence of this as the pub chain is now closed and i do not have the P60's. Moreover this was registered under a temporary NI number so i do not know if the Tax office will a have a record of it
3-2006 until 7-2006. Full time worker. I can obtain a letter from the employer for this. This might be affected by the same NI number as the previous one.
8-2006 until now. Full time worker. I can obtain a letter from the employer and i also have the P60's.

Given the above can i apply for naturalisation now or i need to obtain a permanent residence status from the Home office and wait a further 12 months? The website is not explicit in regards to the applicability of the "free from immigration time restriction" requirement to EEA nationals. My understanding is that all EEA nationals automatically get the PR/ILR on 5 years however does this need to be accompanied with a Home office letter or any other evidence?

Thank you in advance for your help

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:51 am

If you can prove that you have attained PR for at least 12 months, then you don't need to apply for confirmation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

DimitriosK
Newly Registered

Post by DimitriosK » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:07 am

vinny wrote:If you can prove that you have attained PR for at least 12 months, then you don't need to apply for confirmation.
Hi Vinny,

In this case am i right to assume that if submit my P60's with form AN for the past 6 years that will constitute a proof of PR or i need to apply separately for PR and then wait 12 months to apply for citizenship?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 am

You can apply directly for BC with the 6 P60's. See section 2.4-2.6 in form AN.

zheni

Post by zheni » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Try to exclude your student status if possible unless you have had CSI. You seem to have resided long enough to qualify without it and I am just saying that it might complicate things.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:25 pm

The student years are pre-2006 so CSI was not required then but I agree with your statement. Providing P60 would make it much easier (especially if going for BC directly).

acsrjsk
Newly Registered

Post by acsrjsk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Dimintrios

Did you have to Life in the UK test as an EU National to apply for British Citizenship or just have to submit Form AN with P60?

Thanks