ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Entrepreneur VISA - Type of Business

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kelv12
Newly Registered
Location: FIFO (fly in fly out) - New Zealand / Australia / Ghana / United Kingdom

Tier 1 Entrepreneur VISA - Type of Business

Post by kelv12 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:58 am

Dear immigration forum members,

My first post here... I have studied the UKBA policy guidance for the Tier 1 Entrepreneur VISA and believe I meet all requirements to obtain this VISA, however I am not sure if my business is suitable...

Intentions for my business is to start a boutique Project Management Consulting firm, for the Mining, Oil and Gas and Electrical Power Industry. This company would have three main functions;
• Consulting Project Management services for the UK and international market.
• Project management software development/programming, employing UK professionals.
• Recruitment of UK Project Management Professionals for the African (and potentially local) market.

I understand there are various stipulations for the use of the Tier 1 Entrepreneur VISA. One of these stipulations is that the Tier 1 (entrepreneur) VISA holder must not undertake full time employment in the UK, this is a concern to me as I would expect that for a period of time that I would work for my consulting company as a contractor in a manner similar to full time employment, in order to minimise my outward cashflow. As such, I would like you to please confirm or advise on each of the below numbered points;

1. That the Tier 1 (entrepreneur) VISA is suitable for setting up this type of company? Do you have any comments here or foresee any issues with using this VISA for this type of business?
2. That I may work for my own company as a contractor, providing professional consulting services to the UK market in a manner similar to full time employment? My concern is that I may not work as a Contractor for my own Company. Is there a time limit for how long I could contract my services to a single UK company?
3. I have read the policy guidance notes and it appears that the only documentation I need to provide is evidence of sufficient funds and to meet the points requirements. However I assume the UKBA would require additional details such as a business plan and other supporting documents. Can you please advise if a business plan is required? and what other additional documentation would be required? Some of these items may take time to produce and I want to be prepared so I can accurately plan my way forward.

I am excited about the opportunity to start a new business venture in the UK and look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,
Kelv12

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 1 Entrepreneur VISA - Type of Business

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 am

1. No problems
2. You may work for your business as an employee (but this will not be counted in the two new positions you need to have created), not as a contractor.
3. No business plan is required.

kelv12
Newly Registered
Location: FIFO (fly in fly out) - New Zealand / Australia / Ghana / United Kingdom

Post by kelv12 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Lucapooka,

Thankyou very much for your prompt, straight to the point reply. This VISA looks positive for my business.

1) Thankyou
2) Thankyou. So it appears that I could work for my business as an employee, and my business could be employed by various other UK businesses to provide consulting services. Seems self explanatory, however just to confirm, are you in agreement with this?
3) Thankyou

I am wanting to action the application for this VISA and have letters etc drafted for proof of funds etc.

I note that a typical fee for a VISA consultant to make the application on my behalf is around 1,500GBP, which is substantial. I have looked through the UKBA website and believe I could potentially make an application directly, with some minor assistance from this forum and by reading the policy guidance carefully.

4) Do you know anyone who has independantly applied and successfully obtained this VISA directly from the UKBA? or is it best to engage a VISA consultant?

I understand this is not related to my original post, however I would like to hear back from you if you have any advice here.

Best regards,
Kelv12