ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) - I haven't lived with my spouse for two years, but..

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

violentvinyl
Newly Registered

FLR(M) - I haven't lived with my spouse for two years, but..

Post by violentvinyl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Hello,

I'm a US citizen currently living in the UK on a Tier 2 (General) Visa, sponsored by my employer. I've lived in the UK for almost two years and have 1 year left on this Visa.

I married my girlfriend of 4 years last month. She is a British citizen (born here, and holds a passport). We dated long distance for two years (flying back and forth to see each other every 2 - 4 months) and then I made the desicion to take a job in London so I could move to England to be closer to her. We lived together for a month in the East Midlands and I made the 4 hour round trip commute daily for a month. We decided (regretably) that it would be much cheaper and easier for me to rent a place in London. For the last 21 months I've been living and working in London and visiting my girlfriend (now my wife) on the weekends. I have the train tickets to prove that I frequently travel up North.

I know on form FLR(M) it asks for evidence that you've lived with your spouse for the past two years, or if we haven't, the reasons why and evidence that we've kept in contact. In your opinion, is my reason valid, and would the train tickets be enough to support this?

It's also worth mentioning that all of my mail (pay stubs, NI, and tax documents) are all currently addressed to my wife's parents house in the same town as my wife.

Is there someone I can call to recieve an official opinion on this? Seems like quite a gamble to spend £550 just to find out.

Thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:59 pm

You don't have to prove that you've lived together for 2 years (the form is misleading) but you do need to submit evidence that you are now living together as a married couple...i.e sharing the same address.
Is your wife living in her parents home where your correspondence is sent? Do you have anything in joint names? Bank account for instance?

violentvinyl
Newly Registered

Post by violentvinyl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Thank you so much for your response. It's very good to hear as I was quite worried.

She does not live at her parent's home where my correspondence is sent. She owns her own home.

We do not currently have anything in joint names.

If I were to have my mail sent to my wife's address and we were to open a joint bank account, would that, in your opinion, be enough evidence of us living together as a married couple?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:33 am

The application almost certainly would fail if you submit an application with your correspondence going to her parents address...while your wife owns her own home and you live elsewhere!
Why don't you currently have anything registered to you at the house which your wife owns and where she is living? If you have nothing you can submit in joint names and only visit when you are able, your FLR(M) is looking very weak. I'd suggest you seek legal advice on your application.

firozibrahim

Post by firozibrahim » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:09 am

Casa wrote:The application almost certainly would fail if you submit an application with your correspondence going to her parents address...while your wife owns her own home and you live elsewhere!
Why don't you currently have anything registered to you at the house which your wife owns and where she is living? If you have nothing you can submit in joint names and only visit when you are able, your FLR(M) is looking very weak. I'd suggest you seek legal advice on your application.

i also have bit similar problem I am on Spouse Visa. I have a business in India which make fly every month for a week or every two months for two weeks. I been coming to Britain for last 6 years. my passport will be proof of extensive travel to different countries. We live in a flat which is in her name I have only phone bill and internet connection on my name, My mail comes here and also my bank account My Driving Licence is all have address of the flat. I have a year before my visa up for renewal. will this count against my ILR please assist. She also work and very senior level post. Second what document do I needed for my ILR may be some one can give me the list of document needed, better to be safe than sorry, so I can start collect document accordingly please help

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:10 am

See also form SET(M).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.