ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting Indian Passport back

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

newavenues
Newly Registered

Getting Indian Passport back

Post by newavenues » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Hello Members

I am eligible for ILR in next couple of months. As per the rules, i am contemplating getting ILR for myself and after i recieve the ILR, applying British Citizenship for my Child who was born in UK.

We are still not sure whether we parents ourselves want to go for British Citizenship. We may return to India in next year or so.

My question is can my child get Indian Passport back if we return to India for good? I know there is always OCI option for my child but i may want the Indian Passport back, is that feasible?

Regards
Ash

osteophytes

Re: Getting Indian Passport back

Post by osteophytes » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:34 am

newavenues wrote:Hello Members

I am eligible for ILR in next couple of months. As per the rules, i am contemplating getting ILR for myself and after i recieve the ILR, applying British Citizenship for my Child who was born in UK.

We are still not sure whether we parents ourselves want to go for British Citizenship. We may return to India in next year or so.

My question is can my child get Indian Passport back if we return to India for good? I know there is always OCI option for my child but i may want the Indian Passport back, is that feasible?

Regards
Ash
An OCI holder can apply for Indian citizenship (and Indian Passport) after 5 years and out of these 5 years they should be resident in India for 1 year.

See point 27 in this link.
http://www.indianconsulate.com/4Passpor ... onOCI.html

But when they apply for Indian citizenship they should prove that they have renounced their foreign citizenship. That can be tricky as your child is a minor and he/she can renounce their citizenship only after 18 years of age.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... tionality/

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Getting Indian Passport back

Post by ric1982 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:30 am

osteophytes wrote:
newavenues wrote:Hello Members

Regards
Ash

An OCI holder can apply for Indian citizenship (and Indian Passport) after 5 years and out of these 5 years they should be resident in India for 1 year.

See point 27 in this link.
http://www.indianconsulate.com/4Passpor ... onOCI.html

But when they apply for Indian citizenship they should prove that they have renounced their foreign citizenship. That can be tricky as your child is a minor and he/she can renounce their citizenship only after 18 years of age.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... tionality/
This is interesting is there no option if you are under 18 and not married but do want to give up the BS?

Can someone please advise what to do in that case?

newavenues
Newly Registered

Post by newavenues » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:34 am

Chaps,

Many Thanks for your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Going through the information in the links, it seems minor cannot give up the citizenship until he/she is 18 years.

Cheers
Ash

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 am

newavenues wrote:Chaps,

Going through the information in the links, it seems minor cannot give up the citizenship until he/she is 18 years.

Cheers
Ash
Its not that under 18 can not give up. If you look at the form there is a provision (a box!) which says please explain why its in the minor's interest (or the person who is uncapable for making this decision) to give up British Citizenship..

osteophytes

Post by osteophytes » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:29 am

ric1982 wrote:
newavenues wrote:Chaps,

Cheers
Ash
Its not that under 18 can not give up. If you look at the form there is a provision (a box!) which says please explain why its in the minor's interest (or the person who is uncapable for making this decision) to give up British Citizenship..
I agree there is a provision there but if you read the guidance, age above 18 is one of the requirements and they did not mention anything about guardians acting on behalf of a minor.