ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Medical treatment for non-EEA national

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

andyjohnst

Medical treatment for non-EEA national

Post by andyjohnst » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Does anyone know about the receiving medical treatment if you are a spouse of a EU national (with a RC, currently in application stage)

Is there a procedure to follow? i.e. need to get a medical card?

e.g. What if spouse becomes pregnant.

I am the EU citizen, currently employment within the state, excercising my treaty rights.

Any help or advice would be great.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi there,
In case of pregnany:
Check this link from Coombe hospital this provides the best context about Antenatal support in case of NON-EU national:
http://www.coombe.ie/index.php?nodeId=85

when i was NON-EU went through Rotunda, similar thing was mentioned to me.
I believe some long term Medical conditions might have similar stuff. am not sure about that.

Regards
Tiggs

andyjohnst

Post by andyjohnst » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks for the link tiggs.

In the UK i would be eligable for for treatment on the NHS. As I am an EU citizen am I not right in thinking this right it extended to medical treatment within the EU and as I am exercising my treaty rights, this is extended to my direct family, i.e. non-EU spouse?

I can get a european health card to confirm this and was wondering if anyone knew if my wife is eligable for the above/health card.

Thanks.

Malika

Re: Medical treatment for non-EEA national

Post by Malika » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:47 pm

andyjohnst wrote:Does anyone know about the receiving medical treatment if you are a spouse of a EU national (with a RC, currently in application stage)

Is there a procedure to follow? i.e. need to get a medical card?

e.g. What if spouse becomes pregnant.

I am the EU citizen, currently employment within the state, excercising my treaty rights.

Any help or advice would be great.
You say that you are exercising your treaty rights?
Among the conditions wasn't it mentioned that you should not be a 'burden' on the state? I think this might also apply to your spouse
Have sufficient resources and sickness insurance to ensure that you do not become a burden on the social services of Ireland

Let those who are versed in treaty rights shed some light on this!
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

andyjohnst

Post by andyjohnst » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Being employed there are deductions from your wages (PRSI deductions I think). I presume they are deductions like in the UK for national health services.

As I am paying into this, I am paying into the country so I don't think we would be classed as being a burden to the country.

newbieholland
United Kingdom

Post by newbieholland » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:14 am

andyjohnst wrote:Being employed there are deductions from your wages (PRSI deductions I think). I presume they are deductions like in the UK for national health services.

As I am paying into this, I am paying into the country so I don't think we would be classed as being a burden to the country.
If EU national is not working/self employed/ self sufficient they would need a CSI or pay for the treatments. In that case if the Non EU spouse is working and paying taxes, do they need CSI?
"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."

Malika

Post by Malika » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 am

andyjohnst wrote:Being employed there are deductions from your wages (PRSI deductions I think). I presume they are deductions like in the UK for national health services.

I think you might have not compare Ireland with the UK.
The health Systemsare different between both countries.
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

Malika

Post by Malika » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 am

I think you might have not compare Ireland with the UK.
The health Systems are different between both countries.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi Andy.

There's no NHS in Ireland, or equivalent.

In a nutshell, everyone has to pay for the healthcare they need. For example, every visit to the GP is usually at least €50. As for prescriptions, you have to pay for for the actual cost of the drugs, as opposed to a nominal "prescription fee". Exemptions exist, but that's about the size of it.

A Medical Card allows free healthcare, but you can only get one if your income is less than the guideline set for your family size. Search on citizensinformation.ie for more info. I wouldn't have thought that, as an accountant, your income would be low enough for you to qualify for a Medical Card.

Maternity care, however, is free in Ireland for all legal residents, such as your wife. This includes both pre and post natal care.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

andyjohnst

Post by andyjohnst » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Yeah - you're right Ben. I wasn't sure on the whole system over here but I have my head round it now. I wrote to Your Europe advice on the topic. They informed me

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find below the reply to your enquiry. Please note that the advice given by Your Europe Advice is an independent advice and cannot be considered to be the opinion of the European Commission, of any other EU institution or its staff nor will this advice be binding upon the European Commission, any other EU or national institution.

Thank you for your enquiry to the Your Europe Advice service.
Since you are a worker in Ireland, your wife is entitled to be treated the same as the wife of an Irish worker in relation to all maternity rights. She will have the same public health maternity rights as an Irish citizen. Therefore, you should ensure that both you and she are registered with a GP to enable your wife to obtain maternity care. The fact that your wife has not yet received her residence card is not relevant and she should be able to register without this provided you can provide details of your residence and work in Ireland.
Co-ordination of social security in the EU is provided for under Regulation 883/2004/EC. Under this Regulation, you and your wife are entitled to social security benefits on the same basis as nationals in the country where you work and reside.
For further information on your social security rights in the EU, including healthcare, you may wish to browse the following website: http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=849&langId=en
I trust that this information is of assistance to you.
Yours sincerely,
Your Europe Advice