ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirements - help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

flyguy

English Language Requirements - help

Post by flyguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:38 am

Can anyone verify only speaking and listening elements of an approved English Language test is required for the spouse visa. For example only these two bands in Ilets or the Pearson PTE acedemic test. Even though both these tests all four elements - reading, writing, speaking and listening.

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Alot of posts and people are very confused including me, but after some research this should clear up any confusion for lots of people.

I have taken a test at level A1 which tested reading and writing as well as speaking and listening skills.

I passed speaking and listening but failed to reach A1 in reading and writing. Can I still use this test?

Providing you can demonstrate you have passed in speaking and listening at Level A1 with one of the approved test providers you can use this evidence. We are only using tests which can show separate scores for speaking and listening skills.

Second point to clear up confusion for spouse visas.

ILETS measure from level B1 onwards which equates to a band 4.0. You can not say a band 2.0 in listening meets the requirements of A1 of CEFR. Therefore anyone doing an ILETS needs to score band 4.0 in Speaking & Listening, and it does not matter what score you get in Reading & writing, nor does the overall band matter as well. Only Speaking and Listening is what matters in the Spousa Visa. Do not get confused with Student Visa requirements.

Anyone please correct me if am wrong, but there is alot of posts that are not very clear in regards to this matter on here and other websites. And wanted to clear this up.

Thanks

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Some further information, there has been some cases where people have got Spuse visa's with ILETS scores that do not meet the requirements and some posts on these forums show that. I would suspect this is either:

1) The ECO being somewhat unclear on what is required in the English Language Criteria. Remeber it only just been over a year since this criteria was introduced.

2) Individual ECO discretion, proberly due to the application being clear and strong in all other areas required.

However to make a good application and to remove doubt and to meet the English Language requirements fully, it is required to pass the Speaking & Listening Elements of what ever approved test you go for. ILETS means a band 4.0 or higher in Speaking & listening - it does not matter what is scored in the other bands or the overall band.

Some people have seeked advice from so called experts, especially in forign nations and they have mislead them as they appear to be using the same requirements as for Student Visa's - that is a totally seperate requirement and should not get confused with the Spouse Visa requrement.

Make your own decision/mind to use this post , i am not a immigration expert but simply like to make this issue clear to help other genuine people and cases for Spouse Visa only.

M&L
Newly Registered

Re: English Language Requirements - help

Post by M&L » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:41 pm

flyguy wrote:Can anyone verify only speaking and listening elements of an approved English Language test is required for the spouse visa. For example only these two bands in Ilets or the Pearson PTE acedemic test. Even though both these tests all four elements - reading, writing, speaking and listening.
My wife pass a level B2 in ILETS last year, This April 2012 the government will change the A1 test to B1 because i read the A1 is to easy to pass the test and A1 in the lower score in English :wink:

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:44 am

Hi M&L

This is the first I am hearing of the change, I am not sure whether this is the case, do you have a link for this?

As far as I know the current English speaking rules are not going to change for a couple of years.

Thanks
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised