ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minimum Salary For Sponsorship Under Family Route 2012

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ali_G

Minimum Salary For Sponsorship Under Family Route 2012

Post by Ali_G » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:56 pm

16 November 2011

A minimum salary of between £18,600 and £25,700 before tax should be introduced for UK residents sponsoring a partner or dependent for citizenship, the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) recommended today.

The MAC was asked to identify a salary that would prevent any sponsor, their spouse or their dependents from becoming a burden on the state.

The MAC was asked by the government to consider what the minimum income threshold should be for a British resident sponsoring a spouse, partner or dependent for settlement in the UK under the family route. This was part of the government's review of the family migration routes.

Presently the threshold is an annual income of £5,500 after tax, excluding housing costs. This is equivalent to £13,700 before tax and including housing costs.

The thresholds are based on the income levels at which a family is not entitled to state benefits or contributes at least as much to the public finances as it consumes in services.

A salary threshold of £18,600 would reduce settlement through the family route by 45 per cent, the MAC estimates. A minimum of £25,700 would reduce it by 63 per cent.

Chairman of the MAC, Professor David Metcalf CBE, said:

'The current threshold of £5,500 seems low considering the government's desire to ensure new migrants settling in the UK are not a burden on the state.

'Our recommendations are made on a purely economic basis and we recognise that family migration is not determined by economics alone. However our analysis suggests there is justification for raising the pay threshold.'

Potential methods for calculating higher salary thresholds to account for child and adult dependants are also set out in the MAC report.

Source:-
http://www.ukba.home...30-family-route

Look here for the just released MAC report:-
http://www.ukba.home...pdf?view=Binary

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:52 pm

This is old news and has already been covered in a forum thread. These are MAC recommendations only and may not be implemented by the Government.

Ali_G

Post by Ali_G » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Casa wrote:This is old news and has already been covered in a forum thread. These are MAC recommendations only and may not be implemented by the Government.
Hi Casa,

Hope you are doing well.
Actually, i was just informed about this sad news today, that's why i decided to share it on this lovely forum in order to see what do people think about it. These recommendations can make my future plans on the edge of danger because i have been married and my wife living with me in Morocco for 2 years and it was me who delayed applying for spouse visa on purpose till we are fully ready but now i can see that in case of adopting this new migration law by the government, we will be completely destroyed without any doubt. I wish for the bottom of my heart these bloody recommendations take no place ever in future.

I really don't know why i have a strong feelings that David Cameron won't hesitate to go ahead in implementing it. Well, i will have to wait till next April then see what will happen even though it is painful toture to think about this.

Thank you once again Casa :)
Regards