ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mcarth342
Newly Registered

Student Visa

Post by mcarth342 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi all,
i am looking forward to your replies regarding this post.
Myself and my wife are in our early forties we have 2 children.
I have tried the self assessment and come out with only 57 points well short of the required amount.I have been told that if one of us takes a college course in Canada for 2 -3 years this will give us added points and enable the other to gain an open work permit.if we gain employment this will also give us extra points.
I know that it is not as easy as described, but is this a possible route to PR or just a 2-3 year holiday in Canada for us,hope not .
All replies appreciated.

Cheer,s all

rahimbadsha
Newly Registered

Post by rahimbadsha » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:42 pm

Spouse of common law partners of international students are eligible to work in Canada while their partner studies. International students can also apply for work permit but are only allowed to work 20 hours/wk during semester and full time during summer/holiday season. There is also an opportunity to look for employment once you complete your study under post-graduation work program.

Work experience and having a college/university degree can help you get some extra points but only if you don't have any points for those already. If you already have a college / university degree and have few years of work experience (assuming you do as you are in your early 40s), then not sure how much good that will do you. However, if you get a job after your study and your employer sponsors you, then things will be easier. Do some good research and talk to an expert before you take any step.