ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long you can stay away after British Nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

angelloveguy

How long you can stay away after British Nationality

Post by angelloveguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 am

Hello,

My friend is leaving UK with his family as he got a good job in Pakistan. He got his British Natinality last month and now he leaving UK with his wife and 3 kids.

All three Kids were born in UK. He was earlier on Work permit and then on ILR and now he got his British Nartionality.

My Queation is do he or his kids need to come back every year to retaint British Nationality ?? or as he is planning not come back at least for 5 years is fine.

osteophytes

Re: How long you can stay away after British Nationality

Post by osteophytes » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 am

angelloveguy wrote:Hello,

My friend is leaving UK with his family as he got a good job in Pakistan. He got his British Natinality last month and now he leaving UK with his wife and 3 kids.

All three Kids were born in UK. He was earlier on Work permit and then on ILR and now he got his British Nartionality.

My Queation is do he or his kids need to come back every year to retaint British Nationality ?? or as he is planning not come back at least for 5 years is fine.
There is no such requirement. You wont lose nationality unless you obtained it by deception (happens very rarely). There are no residential requirements to maintain Nationality.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:41 pm

were the 3 children born before the father obtained ILR? If yes have they been registered as British citizens?

what is the immigration status of his wife?

angelloveguy

Post by angelloveguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 pm

2 Kids were born when he had a Work Permit and one kid when he had ILR, so the third kid was given a passport straight away. His wife is now also a British National.

SO that means he and his kids have no restrictions to come back even after 10 years??

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:09 pm

The kids that were born in the UK when the parent had a work premit are not automatically British and would need to be registered under section 1 (3) but the parent must do it while still in the UK otherwise it would be too late.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... /borninuk/

Family
Newly Registered

Post by Family » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Backer wrote:The kids that were born in the UK when the parent had a work premit are not automatically British and would need to be registered under section 1 (3) but the parent must do it while still in the UK otherwise it would be too late.

#

What happens if Only Main Applicant is British National & wife & kid are not due to separation. Suppose British National restart living together with separated wife & kid.

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Family wrote:
Backer wrote:The kids that were born in the UK when the parent had a work premit are not automatically British and would need to be registered under section 1 (3) but the parent must do it while still in the UK otherwise it would be too late.

#

What happens if Only Main Applicant is British National & wife & kid are not due to separation. Suppose British National restart living together with separated wife & kid.
I assume that if the father is a British citizen and his kids were born in the UK and all are currebtly living in the UK then the kids can be registered as British.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm not aware of a residence requirement for applications under section 1(3). All is needed is that the parent has become settled/BC after the child birth in the UK and that an application is made.

osteophytes

Post by osteophytes » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Jambo wrote:

I'm not aware of a residence requirement for applications under section 1(3). All is needed is that the parent has become settled/BC after the child birth in the UK and that an application is made.
There are residential requirements. http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... de_mn1.pdf

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 pm

osteophytes wrote:There are residential requirements. http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... de_mn1.pdf
My eyes might be failing me but I wasn't able to find residential requirements for applications under section 1(3) in the guide (there are requirements for applications under 3(1), 3(2) and 3(5) but this is not the case here).

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:49 pm

The non-British children are entitled to register before they are 18.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

osteophytes

Post by osteophytes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:24 am

Jambo wrote:
osteophytes wrote:There are residential requirements. http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... de_mn1.pdf
My eyes might be failing me but I wasn't able to find residential requirements for applications under section 1(3) in the guide (there are requirements for applications under 3(1), 3(2) and 3(5) but this is not the case here).
Hi Jambo

Oops! Shouldn't have questioned your judgement. So is it ok for this poster's children to go out of the country for as long as they want (provided they apply before turning 18)?

Regards

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:46 am

Correct although my comment was referring to the requirement stated for the parent to be in the UK. This is not needed. An application under 1(3) can be done anywhere in the world and there is no residential requirement for the child or the parent.

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 am

Jambo wrote:Correct although my comment was referring to the requirement stated for the parent to be in the UK. This is not needed. An application under 1(3) can be done anywhere in the world and there is no residential requirement for the child or the parent.
Although I understand that the OP is a British citizen and this might not be relevant for him but is that also true for parents who acquired ILR and then (theoretically) lost it due to living abroad ? Can they still register their children who were born in the UK? I think not because they are not "settled" anymore therefore there is a residential requirement.

For some reasons which I can't recall at this moment I also still believe that registration of children under section 1(3), with or without British parents, assumes that the child is currently living in the UK and/or his future has to lie in the UK.

angelloveguy

Post by angelloveguy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 am

OK. Let me clearify .... HUSBAND, WIFE AND KIDS.. ALL ARE BRITISH NATIONALS now.... Can they leave UK for 5 years???? and come back .. is there any residence restirctions for them??? if they want to come back after 5 years???

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:31 am

angelloveguy wrote:OK. Let me clearify .... HUSBAND, WIFE AND KIDS.. ALL ARE BRITISH NATIONALS now.... Can they leave UK for 5 years???? and come back .. is there any residence restirctions for them??? if they want to come back after 5 years???
Yes. Relax. This was already answered.
Once anyone is a British citizen he will stay like that all his life and it does not matter where one lives

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:32 am

angelloveguy wrote:OK. Let me clearify .... HUSBAND, WIFE AND KIDS.. ALL ARE BRITISH NATIONALS now.... Can they leave UK for 5 years???? and come back .. is there any residence restirctions for them??? if they want to come back after 5 years???
No there isnt any restriction. You can leave away as long as you want. Thats what you mean by being a Citizen. Think about this. If you are a citizen of "a" contry and you are leaving away from that country. After 5 years you turn up at the airport of that country after leaving away. What they gonna say? go away?!!!. Where?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 am

Backer wrote:Although I understand that the OP is a British citizen and this might not be relevant for him but is that also true for parents who acquired ILR and then (theoretically) lost it due to living abroad ? Can they still register their children who were born in the UK? I think not because they are not "settled" anymore therefore there is a residential requirement.
I believe (but not 100% certain) that if you have been granted ILR but then lost it (because you been away for more than 2 years), a UK-born child should still be able to register (if still minor). The law only requires that the parent becomes settled. It doesn't require the parent to be settled when the application is made (IMHO).

For some reasons which I can't recall at this moment I also still believe that registration of children under section 1(3), with or without British parents, assumes that the child is currently living in the UK and/or his future has to lie in the UK.
These requirements are required for applications under section 3(1) (discretion), not section 1(3) (entitlement).

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 am

Jambo wrote:
Backer wrote:Although I understand that the OP is a British citizen and this might not be relevant for him but is that also true for parents who acquired ILR and then (theoretically) lost it due to living abroad ? Can they still register their children who were born in the UK? I think not because they are not "settled" anymore therefore there is a residential requirement.
I believe (but not 100% certain) that if you have been granted ILR but then lost it (because you been away for more than 2 years), a UK-born child should still be able to register (if still minor). The law only requires that the parent becomes settled. It doesn't require the parent to be settled when the application is made (IMHO).

These requirements are required for applications under section 3(1) (discretion), not section 1(3) (entitlement).
Interesting Jambo - Thanks!