ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR, BC and being in receipt of Maintenance Grant

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zheni

PR, BC and being in receipt of Maintenance Grant

Post by zheni » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi,

An EU student is granted PR regardless of the fact that they have been in receipt of Maintenance Grant (based on parents' low income) and then go on to apply for BC.

Could the application for BC be refused because the student has been receiving public funds hence the grant?

My logic is that once PR is granted, obviously, the applicant satisfied the requirements and I think (may be I'm wrong here) that with the application for BC they consider whether the applicant has been free from restrictions for 12 months and that it does not make sense to in a way reconsider the time before PR was granted. If, they do that and refuse BC for a reason pre-PR they would be saying that granting PR was wrong.

Do they consider such things once PR has been granted?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Under EEA regulations, PR is obtained automatically and the HO just confirms this status.

If the HO have confirmed the PR status following an application using EEA3 form, then they will not check during a BC application whether public funds were accessed or not.

BTW - EEA nationals are entitled to public funds. They are not allowed to become unreasonable burden on the state and this depends on the circumstances of the individual.

zheni

Post by zheni » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Yes, I know EU nationals have access to public funds and they must not become unreasonable burden. The thing is 'unreasonable burden' is not defined and they can interpret it anyhow they like.
The EEA3 aplication does not include NIN or section to disclose if you have taken any public funds but the AN form asks for NIN....I cannot work out why they've left it out in the EEA3.