ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Thread to track HSMP applications from U.S.A

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:05 pm

What I have heard is that the BHC in the home country / country of employment (as the case may be) undertakes these reference checks. They call up the employer on the numbers provided in the application / letter of reference(s) and get a feedback on the claims.

Not heard if they (BHC or HO) do the reference verifications through email.

regards

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:46 pm

i called in this morning and they said my application has been refused. i don't know why yet. i still need to arrange for a courier pick-up and will get to know where exactly did they not award me points.

my only guess could be work experience as i had to attach a seperate letter for my job description (on employee letterhead but NOT signed or stamped). i even attached copies of my original job descriptions stamped, which I signed when I was hired.

I tried to get it on the letterhead but they just didn't give me one (company policy). Although my employee letter did state all the title and duration of all the positions i held and statement that all my positions required either bachelors or masters degree (i know from what i've read its usually not enough).

i know my positions ARE infact all graduate level positions as its a research position funded by top US government funding agency.

i'm disappointed right now but its not the end as i know i qualify. i just need to see what else can i do. its very disheartening though. will be tough to do so.

reshamiya12
Newly Registered

Post by reshamiya12 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:53 am

Windmill/others

Join the club of rejections... My application was also denied ...I did not get any points for work experience ..... I am from the Silicon Valley area...

I had made all of my work experience letters according to the format mentioned in this forum.All of them were on original letterhead and signed by corresponding managers I had worked for.

I am not sure whats lacking in application for people applying from US that they are being rejected.

I am going to appeal with more documents.

Lets see.

HSMPGUY

Post by HSMPGUY » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:14 am

reshamiya12 wrote:Windmill/others

Join the club of rejections... My application was also denied ...I did not get any points for work experience ..... I am from the Silicon Valley area...

I had made all of my work experience letters according to the format mentioned in this forum.All of them were on original letterhead and signed by corresponding managers I had worked for.

I am not sure whats lacking in application for people applying from US that they are being rejected.

I am going to appeal with more documents.

Lets see.
If you want send some more document for additional proof then better apply with new application.beacuse you can not sent additional document with review request.

Thanks

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:50 am

I just called, and I was approved! I was worried, because it seems like a lot of people applying from the US have been denied lately. I'm going to be out of the country for the next three months, and won't even be here to receive my letter, but I don't think it should be a problem if I apply for the EC once I get back in January.

Applied from the US
Application sent: Sept 20
Application received: Sept 22
CC charged: Sept 22
Received reference number: Sept 25
Approved: Oct 2

syedajmal
Newly Registered

Arrange for Pick Up of Original Docs

Post by syedajmal » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:24 pm

God Willing I should be applying this weekend. I see you guys keep mentioning about arranging for pick-up of the originals after the decision.

Any suggestion on how to do it and also where to mention in the application that the Head Office should contact me so that I can arrange for the pick-up. Any input is appreciated.

Or should I just go with what they offer in terms of retrun mail?

iforget
Newly Registered

Post by iforget » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am in the process of collecting supporting documents and have a question with regards to work experience documents.

As I was going through this topic, it looks as if one person (at least) applied for HSMP and attached job description work experience document from company's internal website (on company letter-head). I am in same situation, and would like to know if it would make any difference if I attached HR email with the application that states clearly that company does not issue reference letters with job descriptions. All they issue are salary letters that state emplyees title, starting job date and current salary.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

pretaatma
Newly Registered

Post by pretaatma » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:15 am

Guys,

I need your help. I am really upset. I found today that my HSMP application was rejected. The reason given was they could not verify my education and experience from US. I had spent months preparing for my application. I am currently in US and applied in Sept 2006.

As far as I know I had sent all past 8 years of reference letters along with bank statements, W2. I had also sent my original masters MS degree that I did from University of Virginia. They think that my MS does not satisfy their NARIC requirements. This is stupid.

Please suggest what can I do next.

pateketu

Post by pateketu » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Is your Master's in the same field? My undergrad is in Civil Engg and M.S in Computer Info. Sys. my MS was not considered UK Master's equivalent by NARIC as my Master's was not in the same field as Bachelors.

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:14 pm

My masters and bachelors are both in different fields but they did award me points for education. I lost points in other fields.

To be honest, it shouldn't matter really cos you don't even need to send your bachelors degree if you're claiming points for Masters. Of course, it can serve as a fallback in case they don't award you any points for Masters. Am I wrong there?

pretaatma
Newly Registered

Post by pretaatma » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:06 am

Windmill,

I think you are right that if you want to claim points for Masters degree then you dont really have to send Bachelors degree. I think people do extra steps like sending bachelors degree even though they are claiming for Masters and then create problems who apply after them.

I did send bachelor degree but now I feel I should NOT have sent it. Maybe sending bachelors along with Masters created some confusion.

Next time I will just send Masters. I do not understand how a masters from University Of Virginia in Computers be not recognized as Masters degree.

windmill

Post by windmill » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:35 am

Pretaatma,

I know what you're talking about. Its strange they can't recognize a degree from such a big university.

However, I wasn't suggesting not to send Bachelors degree. In fact, I think its good - in case you don't get 25 points, you might still get 15 points.

I believe there is not harm in sending it as long as you clearly mention what are you claiming points for. Your problem is still genuine though.

Tobias1972
Newly Registered

Post by Tobias1972 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:04 am

I'm sorry to hear about that! Maybe you could contact NARIC directly and order a letter of comparability? As the University of Virginia is accredited in the US, NARIC should recognise its degrees. Then you could resubmit your application to the Home Office with written proof from NARIC stating that the MS from Virginia is comparable to a British M.Sc.

Good luck!

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:42 am

I'm really surprised to hear that every US university isn't automatically accepted as equivalent. I was under the impression that a BA in the UK only takes three years, whereas in the US it takes four. I can't imagine the universities in the US are of a significantly lower caliber than the UK!

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Hey guys,

I just thought about something so wanted some inputs. Do you think it might be fair to mention that being on H1B visa here whose minimum requirement is a Bachelors degree or a graduate level job, our jobs should be graduate level?

I think its fair. Now the only caveat is how do you prove your H1B status as I didn't send any document earlier to prove so. But if I cannot use it in my review, I think it can be used in application.

I'll still mention it in my review.

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:50 pm

It's just my opinion, but I don't think it can hurt. I'd send a copy of your H1B anyway. Technically this is not submitting new proof--as you've already sent your degree. It's just supporting information. I've heard of people sending supporting information before--but I don't know a whole lot about it.

pretaatma
Newly Registered

Post by pretaatma » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:10 pm

I would not suggest sending H1 related docs. This is again an unnecessary step that is not needed. Secondly, you will have to prove that H1 requires bachelors degree by giving a USCIS law that shows that. Morever, I know that for getting H1-B , you dont need to have a bachelors degree if you have a diploma with additional experience. That also qualifies you for H1.So This does not prove that H1 requires bachelors degree.

pateketu

Post by pateketu » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:19 pm

I had send a photocopy of my current H1B and original's from previous employer, in my cover letter I had mentioned that H1B is in general granted to a person with atleast a bachelor's degree or equivalent exp, and refered to USIS website for more info. It was just an extra proof

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:02 pm

pretaatma,

it maybe an unnecessary document at the beginning but it helps in case the case worker is not convinced with your experience. so extra documents come handy in those cases.

about H1 not requiring a Bachelors degree - thats not what it says here:
http://ows.doleta.gov/foreign/h-1b.asp

don't know if i know anyone who got H1B without a Bachelors degree but very easily might be just something which I've never come across.

i think i'm gonna send them a copy of my H1B for review and point them to USCIS website. although i'm not sure if they'll accept it or take it as an additional document.

pretaatma
Newly Registered

Post by pretaatma » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:34 pm

Well,

You can try to send the document. There is no harm in trying. I was just saying that it is an unnecessary hassle because they may ask you for the original document as they say everything has to be ORIGINAL. And I beleive sending original H1 is not worth because you need original while your stay in US.

uk4James

UK4James Status

Post by uk4James » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:21 am

Category: under 28 Out of country USA
education: 15
work experience : 25
past earnings: 25

Total: 70

Application sent: 7-OCT-2006
HO Received: None
CC charged: None
:D

ukdestiny07
Newly Registered

Post by ukdestiny07 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Hi All,

I am applying for HSMP under 28 quota.
I am having exactly 2 years and 2 months of experience with the same company.
i am on deputation in US.
Was wondering, how do HSMP case workers do reference check? as if they call up my current employer (as do not have any experience with other companies), i am in a big job loosing treat.

Can someone please throw some light on reference check please?
I am planning to apply at the earliest.

pateketu wrote:
ukdestiny07 wrote:Hi All,
What do you mean?
well i am working for the same company in US now, its a company transfer from India ofc to US subsidary (i.e Company Ltd to Company Inc)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:37 pm

I am applying for HSMP under 28 quota.
I am having exactly 2 years and 2 months of experience with the same company.
Was wondering, how do HSMP case workers do reference check? as if they call up my current employer (as do not have any experience with other companies), i am in a big job loosing treat.
Based on the information available on this forum, it seems that HO forwards request for verification to the local BHC where the applicant has shown work experience of.

The local BHC contacts the referee through:-
1. Phone no. provided on the letter of reference. I would assume that they would call on office numbers rather than a mobile, to be sure that the referee indeeds works with that company.
2. Saw recently in one of the posts that local BHC had sent a fax to one of the applicant' ex-employer (not sure if this is standard practice as phone or was done specifically in this instance).

Haven't heard BHC trying to get in touch with a referee through email (for understandable reasons). Maybe they do or maybe they don't, can't say for sure.

Hope this helps.

regards

Rajan

Post by Rajan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:41 pm

Hi Pateketu

Just wanted some info, not related to this thread, it' about visitor visa to UK.

As you told in yr previous posting abt LA UK consulate. I am currently in US on H1 and want to have UK visitor visa.

As u tried that already being on H1, could you pls tell me that whether i can apply for UK visitor visa being in US (on H1) or i can get that from my country of origin (India)?

Thanking You !

Rajan
---- Never Say No To Life ----

pateketu

Post by pateketu » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:51 am

Rajan wrote:
could you pls tell me that whether i can apply for UK visitor visa being in US (on H1) or i can get that from my country of origin (India)?
You can apply for UK visitor visa from US, Apply online at www.britainusa.com and send your original H1 I-797, a bank statement and an emplyoment verification letter from your employer.