ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

foreign birth of a child of Irish National

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

southdubliner

foreign birth of a child of Irish National

Post by southdubliner » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi All,
I am a naturalized Irish National, currently living in UK for last few months due to job loss in Ireland. We are expecting a baby in next few months. I wonder what will be the process of getting our child Irish Nationality??... your much valued advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm

once you hold irish passport .your kid will be automatic irish citizenship.but you have to register their birth in dept foriegn affair .good luck

IRISH PHAROE
Member of Standing

Post by IRISH PHAROE » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:43 am

For the children of a naturalized person to gain the Irish citizenship, the naturalized parent has to be registered on the foriegn birth register at the moment of the child birth ( I'm not sure but someone can correct me if I'm wrong)
peace on you

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 am

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=267 is a page about citizenship for children born outside of "the island"

If your child were born "on the island", then it would be automatically Irish. If born in northern Ireland, it would be automatically Irish and British.

Fancy having the baby in Belfast?

realhope

Post by realhope » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:03 pm

look at the following pdf files on dfa website...it tells u alot

Application forms and details of the requirements for Foreign Births Registration will be provided on request by the Department of Foreign Affairs or the relevant Mission. Alternatively, application forms can be downloaded here:
FBR Application Form FB1A (PDF 431kb) - for Applicants over 18 years.
FBR Application Form FB1B (PDF 460kb) - for Applicants under 18 years.
WITH MY BEST WISHES FOR ALL WAITING FOR THE POSTMAN

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:29 pm

IRISH PHAROE wrote:For the children of a naturalized person to gain the Irish citizenship, the naturalized parent has to be registered on the foriegn birth register at the moment of the child birth ( I'm not sure but someone can correct me if I'm wrong)
If the child is born outside the island of Ireland, then the child can acquire Irish citizenship by registration in the foreign birth register of the Irish Embassy in that country----it's not the naturalised parent who has to register in the Foreign Births Register (FBR).
Also I read somewhere that there is a provision for the child to acquire UK citizenship, but you need to check this with the UK Home Office website to be sure.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:37 pm

strongbow wrote: Also I read somewhere that there is a provision for the child to acquire UK citizenship, but you need to check this with the UK Home Office website to be sure.
That is correct, as Irish Citizens are considered settled in the UK, from the day they enter, therefore any child born to Irish parents in UK will qualify for British Nationality.

The advice on Irish nationality is spot on.

Register Child's Birth at the Irish Embassy in UK, and i think he will qualify for Irish Citizenship also
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

IRISH PHAROE
Member of Standing

Post by IRISH PHAROE » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:50 am

thanks guys for the valuable information
peace on you

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 am

What is fun is that most times somebody asks a question, I learn from it too!

southdubliner

Post by southdubliner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 am

Obie wrote:
strongbow wrote: Also I read somewhere that there is a provision for the child to acquire UK citizenship, but you need to check this with the UK Home Office website to be sure.
That is correct, as Irish Citizens are considered settled in the UK, from the day they enter, therefore any child born to Irish parents in UK will qualify for British Nationality.

The advice on Irish nationality is spot on.

Register Child's Birth at the Irish Embassy in UK, and i think he will qualify for Irish Citizenship also
Thank you ever so much to ye all as always...I've looked into UK Home office and UKBA but couldn't find any link as to how will i get UK nationality for our UK born children if we are naturalized Irish?? and does any body know how much time it usually takes for a child to get Irish Nationality through foreign birth registration route??
any help....

southdubliner

Post by southdubliner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=267 is a page about citizenship for children born outside of "the island"

If your child were born "on the island", then it would be automatically Irish. If born in northern Ireland, it would be automatically Irish and British.

Fancy having the baby in Belfast?
Difficult but possible....problem is that baby never tells you when he/she is going to be born !!!!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:22 am

If you are Irish and the baby is born in the UK, then the baby is automatically British at birth.

When you register the birth, be sure to get a few long form birth certificates (it is cheaper and easier to do then). Then use that to apply for the baby's UK passport.

tina79

Post by tina79 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:58 am

hi,

well, what about if the child is born outside eu country but the mother is irish?

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:57 pm

as long as one parent is irish it doesnt matter, you can claim irish citizenship for the child via the foreign birth registration method.

tina79

Post by tina79 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 pm

the mother is irish and after birth came back to IRL.