ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Procedure for bringing and settling dependent family members

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

physku
Newly Registered

Procedure for bringing and settling dependent family members

Post by physku » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 pm

I am on an ILR. I want to bring my wife and minor child to UK. My wife dosent immedialtely qualify for an ILR. She will have to wait two years before she gets ILR. I have the following questions ?

a.) How long is the initial visa (applied from outside UK) valid for my wife and child. If I understand correctly, there is no time limit on the Visa except that they cannot qualify for public funds and cannot apply for naturalisation whilst in the dependent category.

b.) Also if the above is not correct, then would the intial visa have the same criteria as FLR(M) ie valid for max 2 years and would it make sense to bring them here on the date the visa period starts to avoid again applying for an extension using FLR(M) before I finally apply for settlement using Set(M).

c.) Can my child apply immediately on arrival for settlement using Set(F) even though my wife cannot apply. If I again understand correctly, for my child to get ILR, both parents have to be settled. If only one parent is settled, then ordinarily it is not possible.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:19 pm

a) you have understood incorrectly the visa will have a time limit. Leave will be granted for 27 months

b) as above leave is granted for 27 months from outside the UK to enable the applicant to have time to travel to the UK and be able to complete the two year period.

c) No.

physku
Newly Registered

Post by physku » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks Greenie Guru.

I presume the answer for Question c is for the first part i.e. that my child cannot immediately apply for settlement after arrival.