ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

requirements for the marriage certificate (foreign)...

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jimmurray
BANNED

requirements for the marriage certificate (foreign)...

Post by jimmurray » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Our marriage cert is from Burkina Faso. It looks quite official, it has a government/registrar stamp front and back, and also a sticker from the local gov

Is there a benefit to deposing the certificate in the UK? If they accept it/depose it, and send confirmation, can I use this confirmation to further strengthen the marriage doc during the spouse visa process?

or is there a list of requirements, i.e. who must stamp the marriage cert before it is legal enough

or is it just a grey area

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:15 am

Hi jimmurray

As far as I know if your marriage is legally registered in the country you are applying for the spouse visa you should be fine. One thing to keep in mind is that if the marriage certificate is not in English it is ideal to get it translated from an official translator i.e. get the translated copied signed and stamped by official people i.e. solicitors of professional translators recognized by authorities etc.

That should do for your marriage certificate requirements.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

nadiii

Post by nadiii » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:05 pm

It looks quite official,
If it is not official and they find out it is not you will be banned for 10 years from apllying for a visa. (for supplying fake documents)

If it is official then you have no worries. It will be registered in the country where it is issued and can be checked by the ECO.
Thank you immigrationboards.com

jimmurray
BANNED

Post by jimmurray » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 pm

nadiii wrote:
It looks quite official,
If it is not official and they find out it is not you will be banned for 10 years from apllying for a visa. (for supplying fake documents)

If it is official then you have no worries. It will be registered in the country where it is issued and can be checked by the ECO.
Already cert translated. Yes it is a REAL document, but a polish friend of mine was saying simply having a marriage doc is not enough, and it needs to be stamped by the local foreign office, high court etc etc

But then again he is quoting Polish law

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am

Hi jimmurray

The High Commission in Poland should have the knowledge in terms of which stamps should be on the certificate in order to render it official and legal. So if the stamps are required you should get them if you can. Last thing you want to see is you are missing a legitimate stamp in your certificate while you are submitting your application.

If you have the time I would suggest that you get the certificate the required stamps.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised