ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent - Appointment in a Week - Employment Ref Letter

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sulabh
Newly Registered

Urgent - Appointment in a Week - Employment Ref Letter

Post by sulabh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi,

I have a question on the Employers Letter, I am on a Tier 1 visa at the moment and currently working on a contract in a company since Oct end.

So, my question is do I need to also have an Employment Letter and if yes, should it from my Umbrella Company or it has to be from the agency through which I am on contract in the company.

As I have already got the letter from that agency but was wondering if I need it from the Umbrella company instead as they are doing my payroll.

Thanks a lot
Sulabh

Chikky

Re: Urgent - Appointment in a Week - Employment Ref Letter

Post by Chikky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 am

sulabh wrote:Hi,

I have a question on the Employers Letter, I am on a Tier 1 visa at the moment and currently working on a contract in a company since Oct end.

So, my question is do I need to also have an Employment Letter and if yes, should it from my Umbrella Company or it has to be from the agency through which I am on contract in the company.

As I have already got the letter from that agency but was wondering if I need it from the Umbrella company instead as they are doing my payroll.

Thanks a lot
Sulabh
Yes take the letter from the umbrella company.

rajasekhar_you

Post by rajasekhar_you » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:19 pm

your agency letter is not mandatory but your umbrella company letter is.
actually u dont need any letter from the umbrella company , but you need a letter with your earnings from the accountant who does accounts for ur umbrella company.

that is what i did for my last extension.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Letter from ANY Employer is not mandatory.
If you are working through your own LTD company and getting paid by way of salary and dividend, the following documents should be sufficient.

1) Payslip for 12 month period claimed.
2) Dividend vouchers for all dividend paid, if not already declared in payslip.
3) Personal bank statement showing the above payment credited to your account.

Any payment received to your LTD Comany belongs to the company and getting any letter to that effect from your umbrella company or company account is of no use for your ILR purpose.

kmore97

Post by kmore97 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 pm

nnj10 wrote:Letter from ANY Employer is not mandatory.
If you are working through your own LTD company and getting paid by way of salary and dividend, the following documents should be sufficient.

Any payment received to your LTD Comany belongs to the company and getting any letter to that effect from your umbrella company or company account is of no use for your ILR purpose.
nj, even I was under same impression and took just the docs you have mentioned, plus a letter from my accountant that consolidates my payments through salary and dividends. When asked for employment letter I produced the accountant letter, it didn't look like case worker was happy about it. She treated my case as self-empoyment and referred it to a senior case worker and though delayed, it was approved.

Like you even I fail to understand why does the case worker ask for it when there is no mention of it either in SET(o) form or guidance note.

Anyway, to be in the safe side, it's better to carry a letter from Umbrella company. I had the contarct from my agency, but that was of no use.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 am

kmore97 wrote:
nnj10 wrote:Letter from ANY Employer is not mandatory.

nj, even I was under same impression and took just the docs you have mentioned, plus a letter from my accountant that consolidates my payments through salary and dividends. When asked for employment letter I produced the accountant letter, it didn't look like case worker was happy about it. She treated my case as self-empoyment and referred it to a senior case worker and though delayed, it was approved.

Like you even I fail to understand why does the case worker ask for it when there is no mention of it either in SET(o) form or guidance note.

Anyway, to be in the safe side, it's better to carry a letter from Umbrella company. I had the contarct from my agency, but that was of no use.
Kmore97

I have only used those documents for my Tier-1 extension 3 years ago and it was sufficient.
But like you say to be on safe side I will carry my current contract letter confirming rates etc + Invoices + business bank statement showing invoice payment etc.

One can easily argue that it is not required, as being a director of a company and paying a "Class 1" National Insurance is a good enough proof of salaried employment.
(P60 states that NIC is as per Class 1 table).
It is only for the people who pay "Class 2" NI should be treated as Self Employed, but as PEO staff is dealing with variety of people incl.. WP, T1G, Self Employed they might ask any document which comes to his/her mind ebven though it is not listed on SET (O) form.
And trying to argue with him/her about that evidence will only delay your application.
So lesson learned is to take as many documents as possible.