ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success Croydon 05-Jan-12, WP + T1G, 300 Days Absence

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

malepiscean
United Kingdom

ILR Success Croydon 05-Jan-12, WP + T1G, 300 Days Absence

Post by malepiscean » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi everyone - I'd like to thank all the knowledge and help that I have received from this forum. Today, I received my ILR despite some quite worryingly high absences.
Further details to my case can be found here.

A. Today's events and questions asked (as it is, without any interpretation on my part):

1) Security check
a) a lady checked for correct form version, i.e. in my case SET(O) 10/2012
b) asked about mode of payment
2) Preliminary application check
Q 1) "Does your basis for 5 year qualifying period include a work permit? If yes, what document are you providing to support period covered by that?"
A 1) She wanted to hear P45/P60 I had the latter
Q 2) "Do you have all the documents like LIUK?"
A 2) Yes
3) Payment
Q 1) "How are you planning to pay today sir?"
A 1) Visa Debit Card
Note: payment went through smoothly, I had called the card company yesterday (as per the advice from this forum, thanks!) and kept my TPIN handy.
4) Detailed application check (by Case Worker)
[...I was called to a specific counter and a lady asked for the form SET(O) and passports, and started to ask the following questions after about 30 seconds of glancing]
Q 1) "Are you saying that you have absences of 300 days? Do you know that the limit is only 190?"
A 1) Yes, I know the limit, it's 180 I think but I don't have any unpaid absence, all absences are either paid vacations or business travels
Q 2) "Do you have letters to support that?"
A 2) Yes, and provided her with the same.
Q 3) "Do you have photocopies of anything?"
A 3) Yes, provided her with the same.
My Q 4) "can I please ask that, since my absences are only paid vacations and business travels, as per the guidance there can be a discretion applied?"
Her A 4) "Yes, but I have to report this to a senior officer and will have to wait to see what they say"
My Q 5) "Is the senior officer available today?"
Her A 5) "Yes"
My Q 6) [...after about 10 min or so of doc checking...] "Do you see any issues overall?"
Her A 6) "Yes, and I will have to refer to a senior officer"
Q 7) "I need 2 Photographs"
A 7) Provided her with the same.
Q 8 ) "Do you have any other documents that you'd like to submit?"
A 8 ) "Should I just give you all of them together?" She said, "Yes". So I gave her, P60s, HMRC Tax history letters, Work Permit approval letters.
My Q9 ) "Excuse me, I also have bank statements and pay slips for the entire 5 year period, should I provide those as well?"
Her A9 ) "No, I don't need them". I asked this as I had kept these separately, it being quite a fat and bulky bundle.

After this I was told to go and wait and she literally rolled the shutter down on her counter window! I went out and came back after roughly an hour to the counter and she told me that the application was approved and returned the originals.

5) Vignette stamping and passport collection
Nothing to add here, just a bit of wait that's all.

B. My interpretation - IMHO

1) Absences are clearly still the most controversial topic. I can confidently say that the CW, at no point until she told me about approval (which was at the very end of the process), was very non-committal in her body language and tonality. In other words, she completely let the senior case worker take the call on this and it seems it could possibly have gone either ways. I'm not trying to make people worry unnecessarily (trust me I know how it feels!) but just trying to say like I saw it. I provided 2 strongly worded and detailed letters one for paid vacations (briefly including the vacation policy of my company itself) and one for business travel (endorsing each trip, emphasizing my need to be there and the fact that at no point was the salary and tax payment moved away from UK). Please make sure these letters are good quality and as detailed as possible if you have >180 days absences.
2) P60 are equally important, at least based on my experience today. The good thing is that HMRC tax history letters are easily obtainable and recognised in case you're missing any of the P60s so nothing to worry on this one.
3) Strangely, she didn't ask much about anything else while she was conversing with me. For instance, I was expecting that she would:
a) check the salary slips, bank statements, etc. at least for the past 1 year
b) do some sort of checks (PNC checks, past Visa checks etc)
c) absences reconciling with my list
...am sure she must have done the due diligence, but just not in front of me! Also, when she was looking at the SET(O) form, she simply got stuck on the absence sheet and glanced over the rest of the form rather quickly without any questions whatsoever!
In any case, am not being cynical or anything just glad about the final outcome and very thankful to god and this forum. If I can answer any questions for anyone with a similar situation please let me know. Thanks!
Last edited by malepiscean on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

friend indeed
Newly Registered

Post by friend indeed » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:55 pm

good to hear that... congrats.... can u please let me know wether the case worker asked all 5 years p60's?

malepiscean
United Kingdom

Post by malepiscean » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:08 pm

friend indeed wrote:good to hear that... congrats.... can u please let me know wether the case worker asked all 5 years p60's?
Thanks. It wasn't asked as specifically as that, but I did provide all P60s + HMRC letters.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Can you tell what are the PNC checks ?

Cheers,
Last edited by linkers on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malepiscean
United Kingdom

Post by malepiscean » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 pm

linkers wrote:Congrats !
Thanks linkers for your good advice previously, and also for the good wishes. By PNC checks I meant 'Police National Computer' which is one of the databases checked for ensuring there aren't any unspent criminal convictions.
Last edited by malepiscean on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrams

Post by chrams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Congratulations Mate!!

My application is still in the Croydon PEO.
I am nudging my Solicitor for the same pressure to put on PEO as I had submitted all possible and required documents. I called up my previous employer and understand from them that the PEO called and verified the business trips as well.

It's Painfully to wait but I got no choice left and looking at my watch for the slow running time very oftenly.

You know all about my application out come when I know.

Happy moments and rock on malepiscean :)

---
Chrams

ghs007
Newly Registered

congrats!

Post by ghs007 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:40 pm

congrats malepiscean!

malepiscean
United Kingdom

Post by malepiscean » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:09 pm

chrams wrote:...I called up my previous employer and understand from them that the PEO called and verified the business trips as well.
It's Painfully to wait but I got no choice...
Hi chrams - many thanks for the good advice given previously and the good wishes! I'm sorry to hear that for 330 odd days in your case, the PEO is behaving inconsistently, however, the fact they called your previous employer (and hopefully they corroborated the travel data) in some way indicates progress, so hopefully a positive verdict should be out soon. Don't worry too much you've done as much as you could, I know exactly how it feels. Take care and lots of good luck.

malepiscean
United Kingdom

Re: congrats!

Post by malepiscean » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 pm

ghs007 wrote:congrats malepiscean!
Thanks!

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply malepiscean.

Cheers,

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Congrats malepiscean. And thank you for a detailed note on your experience. This must be a good feeling now. I have my appointment on 7th Feb at Croydon, a very straightforward case. And I am hoping everything will go well.

Just a query. Why did you ask so many questions to the caseworker of your own. :D You must have felt the need for that. My opinion is that you should only speak when asked because, your questions may trigger doubt in the caseworker's mind.

This forum is always helpful. And detailed explanation like yours will benefit many like me.

chrams

Post by chrams » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 am

malepiscean wrote:
chrams wrote:...I called up my previous employer and understand from them that the PEO called and verified the business trips as well.
It's Painfully to wait but I got no choice...
Hi chrams - many thanks for the good advice given previously and the good wishes! I'm sorry to hear that for 330 odd days in your case, the PEO is behaving inconsistently, however, the fact they called your previous employer (and hopefully they corroborated the travel data) in some way indicates progress, so hopefully a positive verdict should be out soon. Don't worry too much you've done as much as you could, I know exactly how it feels. Take care and lots of good luck.
Dear malepiscean,
Thanks for the wishes and I have nothing to nudge on this matter as it's out of my control at this stage except sitting tight and waiting for the positive out come.

Thank you,
chrams

scs04
Newly Registered

Post by scs04 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Congrats!!!

dev_0891
Newly Registered

Re: ILR Success Croydon 05-Jan-12, WP + T1G, 300 Days Absenc

Post by dev_0891 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 am

malepiscean wrote:Hi everyone - I'd like to thank all the knowledge and help that I have received from this forum. Today, I received my ILR despite some quite worryingly high absences.
Further details to my case can be found here.

A. Today's events and questions asked (as it is, without any interpretation on my part):

1) Security check
a) a lady checked for correct form version, i.e. in my case SET(O) 10/2012
b) asked about mode of payment
2) Preliminary application check
Q 1) "Does your basis for 5 year qualifying period include a work permit? If yes, what document are you providing to support period covered by that?"
A 1) She wanted to hear P45/P60 I had the latter
Q 2) "Do you have all the documents like LIUK?"
A 2) Yes
3) Payment
Q 1) "How are you planning to pay today sir?"
A 1) Visa Debit Card
Note: payment went through smoothly, I had called the card company yesterday (as per the advice from this forum, thanks!) and kept my TPIN handy.
4) Detailed application check (by Case Worker)
[...I was called to a specific counter and a lady asked for the form SET(O) and passports, and started to ask the following questions after about 30 seconds of glancing]
Q 1) "Are you saying that you have absences of 300 days? Do you know that the limit is only 190?"
A 1) Yes, I know the limit, it's 180 I think but I don't have any unpaid absence, all absences are either paid vacations or business travels
Q 2) "Do you have letters to support that?"
A 2) Yes, and provided her with the same.
Q 3) "Do you have photocopies of anything?"
A 3) Yes, provided her with the same.
My Q 4) "can I please ask that, since my absences are only paid vacations and business travels, as per the guidance there can be a discretion applied?"
Her A 4) "Yes, but I have to report this to a senior officer and will have to wait to see what they say"
My Q 5) "Is the senior officer available today?"
Her A 5) "Yes"
My Q 6) [...after about 10 min or so of doc checking...] "Do you see any issues overall?"
Her A 6) "Yes, and I will have to refer to a senior officer"
Q 7) "I need 2 Photographs"
A 7) Provided her with the same.
Q 8 ) "Do you have any other documents that you'd like to submit?"
A 8 ) "Should I just give you all of them together?" She said, "Yes". So I gave her, P60s, HMRC Tax history letters, Work Permit approval letters.
My Q9 ) "Excuse me, I also have bank statements and pay slips for the entire 5 year period, should I provide those as well?"
Her A9 ) "No, I don't need them". I asked this as I had kept these separately, it being quite a fat and bulky bundle.

After this I was told to go and wait and she literally rolled the shutter down on her counter window! I went out and came back after roughly an hour to the counter and she told me that the application was approved and returned the originals.

5) Vignette stamping and passport collection
Nothing to add here, just a bit of wait that's all.

B. My interpretation - IMHO

1) Absences are clearly still the most controversial topic. I can confidently say that the CW, at no point until she told me about approval (which was at the very end of the process), was very non-committal in her body language and tonality. In other words, she completely let the senior case worker take the call on this and it seems it could possibly have gone either ways. I'm not trying to make people worry unnecessarily (trust me I know how it feels!) but just trying to say like I saw it. I provided 2 strongly worded and detailed letters one for paid vacations (briefly including the vacation policy of my company itself) and one for business travel (endorsing each trip, emphasizing my need to be there and the fact that at no point was the salary and tax payment moved away from UK). Please make sure these letters are as high quality and detailed as possible if you have >180 days absences.
2) P60 are equally important, at least based on my experience today. The good thing is that HMRC tax history letters are easily obtainable and recognised in case you're missing any of the P60s so nothing to worry on this one.
3) Strangely, she didn't ask much about anything else while she was conversing with me. For instance, I was expecting that she would:
a) check the salary slips, bank statements, etc. at least for the past 1 year
b) do some sort of checks (PNC checks, past Visa checks etc)
c) absences reconciling with my list
...am sure she must have done the due diligence, but just not in front of me! Also, when she was looking at the SET(O) form, she simply got stuck on the absence sheet and glanced over the rest of the form rather quickly without any questions whatsoever!
In any case, am not being cynical or anything just glad about the final outcome and very thankful to god and this forum. If I can answer any questions for anyone with a similar situation please let me know. Thanks!
congratulations dear, I am also going to apply for ILR. as tier 2 general. just tell me if they checked your bank statements and salary slips. as you said she didn't show any intrest in seeing your bank statements and salary slips.
your suggestions will be highly apreciated.
i am being paid in cash, although i am getting salary slips, shall it be all right to apply with cash bank statements and pay slips. thanks
waiting for your reply.

skano
Newly Registered

>90 days

Post by skano » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi malepiscean,

Did you have any absences that were in excess of 90 days?

Regards,
skano