ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help understanding a rule in calculating points for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

1sppandey

Help understanding a rule in calculating points for ILR

Post by 1sppandey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi,

I am currently on tier 1 general. My first application for this category was in Apr 2007 as HSMP and then later in Apr 2009 I got extension in the Tier 1 category as I guess HSMP had been replaced by it. I will be soon applying for ILR in Apr 2012. I am not able to understand this particular rule while calculating my points. It would be great help if any of you can clarify it for me..!!

From the ILR guidance notes it says:

An applicant will be awarded no points for a Bachelors Degree if:

(a) His last grant of entry clearance was as a Tier 1 (general) migrant under rules in place between 31 MArch 2009 and 5 April 2010, or

(b) (i)He has had leave to remain as a Tier 1 (general) migrant under the rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010, and

(ii) his Previous entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain before that leave was not as a Highly Skilled Migrant, as a writer, composer or artist, as self-employed lawyer, or as a Tier (general) migrant

I cant make a head or tail of this, I intend to claim points for my bachelors degree from India (which is on their calculator) and which I used to claim points in my extention in 2009.

So does this mean I cant claim points for my bachelors or can I..??? :roll:

naCC
BANNED

Post by naCC » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:14 pm

This rule has nothing to do with you my friend ... read carefully again

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

naCC wrote:This rule has nothing to do with you my friend ... read carefully again
Have read it many times...cant make the meaning clear...!!! if you understand it, would you pls care to eloborate..?? :)

nnj10

Re: Help understanding a rule in calculating points for ILR

Post by nnj10 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:20 am

1sppandey wrote:

(a) His last grant of entry clearance was as a Tier 1 (general) migrant under rules in place between 31 MArch 2009 and 5 April 2010, or

(b) (i)He has had leave to remain as a Tier 1 (general) migrant under the rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010, and

(ii) his Previous entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain before that leave was not as a Highly Skilled Migrant, as a writer, composer or artist, as self-employed lawyer, or as a Tier (general) migrant
a) talks about Entry Clearance, and your EC was granted in April 2007 not in 2009. In 2009, you just applied for extension under T1G.

so you will still be able to claim points for your bachelor degree.

1sppandey

Re: Help understanding a rule in calculating points for ILR

Post by 1sppandey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:25 pm

nnj10 wrote:
1sppandey wrote:

a) talks about Entry Clearance, and your EC was granted in April 2007 not in 2009. In 2009, you just applied for extension under T1G.

so you will still be able to claim points for your bachelor degree.
Aah...its makes sense now...thanks a ton..!!

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:00 am

1sppandey: I am in exactly the same situation as you. Got HSMP in May 2007, Tier-1 Ext in Apr 2009 and due for ILR in Apr-May 2012.

I also got confused when home office first added these wordings on Page 19 of SET(0) and took me a while to interpret it properly.

I have done enough research on it and have also read the relevant law in Chapter6A, so don’t worry you will be fine and will be able to claim 30 points for the Bachelors Degree. (you don’t need to provide the degree at the time of ILR as you have already provided it in previous applications).

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 pm

linkers wrote:1sppandey: I am in exactly the same situation as you. Got HSMP in May 2007, Tier-1 Ext in Apr 2009 and due for ILR in Apr-May 2012.

I also got confused when home office first added these wordings on Page 19 of SET(0) and took me a while to interpret it properly.

I have done enough research on it and have also read the relevant law in Chapter6A, so don’t worry you will be fine and will be able to claim 30 points for the Bachelors Degree. (you don’t need to provide the degree at the time of ILR as you have already provided it in previous applications).
Thanks a lot for sharing...you have put my mind to rest and best of luck with your application