ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Information needed regarding Accomodation

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

darikusa

Information needed regarding Accomodation

Post by darikusa » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:52 pm

Hi,

I've been approved for HSMP and would be planning to move by mid-August. I'm looking at accomodation where I could get internet access so that I could apply for jobs and like.

Did anyone find an inexpensive place where internet access is also available?

I'm looking at hotels with broadband but they are too expensive. Other types of accomodation like Bed and breakfast dont have internet access. I'm planning to take this accomodation for a month, try out looking for jobs immediately and then move into a permanent place near my employer.

raoms
Member of Standing

hi

Post by raoms » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:36 am

I am not sure about the internet access in hotels. I suggest you first go for B&B and then shift to some other share acco. with in 2/3 days. There are too many sites which shows sharing/letting/B&B try www.rent.com. internet cafe is available at lot of places.

bugmaster

Post by bugmaster » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:03 pm

Raoms, rent.com is for usa only.
Darik, you may try rightmove.com , letit.co.uk or torent.co.uk. additionally you may also look at loot.com (but you have to pay them to see the ads). If you are looking for a hostel or hotel initally you can just google london hotel, hostel or whatever there are a lot of sites.
It is true that Internet cafes are available at around 1 or 2 pounds per hour. If you use internet from hotels it is much more expensive.
If you rent a room or a flat there is usually a local broadband provider.

Cheers and good luck!
To light a candle is to cast a shadow...

raoms
Member of Standing

hi

Post by raoms » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:44 pm

bugmaster....I appreceiate you found a bug. Its rent.co.uk not .com. there is another good site fish4.co.uk is another good site both for job and lettings.

It seems that everything is costly in london.

bugmaster

Post by bugmaster » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:49 pm

no worries raoms, we're all here to help and get helped. if we succeed in what we want that's the important thing ;)
Cheers
To light a candle is to cast a shadow...

bashir2003
Newly Registered

Post by bashir2003 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:46 am

It is better if you book yourself in B&B initially and then you can search for rented/sharing apartment.

Thats how i did it, and within 3 days i got house to move in.

Regards

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:06 pm

Bashir,
Do the owners ask for reference and/or Bank account when you go for lease agreement for house/apartment ?

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:31 pm

It widely varies depending from whom you are looking to rent. If you go to an agency they will want references from your bank, previous landlord, employer, person of good standing who had know you for at least 2 years etc. etc. Expect to be asked for one or more of these. If however you want to rent privately, then probably you might not need any of these.

bashir2003
Newly Registered

Post by bashir2003 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi Ajay,

As HK mentioned it all depends whom you deal with.

In my case i made it quite simple, i approached the local shops , restuarant and internet cafe and metnioned to them that I am looking for house on rent.

well, many of them really helped me, gave me many personal references, you know sought of , pls call this number he had a house etc etc , some i found note stick on the supermarket house to let.. so all these were private and not thru real estate agents.. which really turned out very ecnonomic for me.
so no need of bank references or anything,, however thy do ask which visa you are here and ofcourse if you give some refernece such as your friend or any known person then there is high chances of getting home quick.

It also depends which area/region u r going to based.
Regards

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:25 am

Tx HK & Bashir

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:48 pm

darikusa

Hotels with broadband are very rare and highly expensive.

B&B's also, not an option for long term stay.

For internet access, you can make use of public library facilities available in most of towns. They are highspeed, free for use (some of them has time limits ). Only problem is they close at 5.30pm on most of the weekdays and weekends. You might also need a membership, just like a highly required current account.

For accomodation, you have to do local searches in whichever town you are planning to be stationed. If you go through a letting agent, it almost likely that you will be asked for references.
Best is to find out inexpensive rooms-to-let channels with local newagents and in supermarket ad. boards.
If you are based in a place where student concentration is high (places like London, Oxford, Sheffield etc ) you would not have much problem getting a student kinda accomodation to start with.

hope this helps

vin123