ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student applying for EEA4, comprehensive sickness insurance?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ibraa

Student applying for EEA4, comprehensive sickness insurance?

Post by ibraa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, hope you can help. I'm an EEA national, and planning to apply for EEA4 Residence Card, and I've been a student during the whole 5 year period.
I didn't know about the need of a sickness insurance, as no one really told me and NHS is free for student, I wasn't really bothered.

So is there someone, who has experience on this, do they reject applications of students because of lack of sickness insurance?

Do they accept EHIC card covering the 5 year period?

Is there anyone out there on this forum, who was a student and
successfully got a PR Card with or without sickness insurance?

I would really appreciate answers of people who have some experience on this...

Thanks in advance!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm

EEA4 is for non-EU nationals. If you are a EEA national, you need to apply using EEA3.

Have you applied as a student for a Residence Certificate (form EEA1)? You didn't have to do that but if you did and if was as a student before June 2011, the HO will waive the requirement for health insurance.

The EHIC is accepted but it needs to have been issued by another EU country not the UK.

If you are a EEA national then there isn't a big reason to apply using EEA3. There isn't any difference in your daily life if you apply for it or not (unless you plan to apply for British citizenship in future).

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Jambo wrote:EEA4 is for non-EU nationals. If you are a EEA national, you need to apply using EEA3.

Have you applied as a student for a Residence Certificate (form EEA1)? You didn't have to do that but if you did and if was as a student before June 2011, the HO will waive the requirements for health insurance.

The EHIC needs to have been issued by another EU country not the UK.

If you are a EEA national then there isn't a big reason to apply using EEA3, there isn't any difference in your daily life if you apply for it or not (unless you plan to apply for British citizenship in future).
Thanks for your fast response!

Yeah, I meant the EEA3. Unfortunately I haven't applied for an EEA1..
I want to apply for British Citizenship in the future, as I'm only 22, and my whole family moved to the UK.

So EHIC would be acceptable as a comprehensive sickness insurance?
Also, if I won't qualify, would they accept me in my mother's applications, as a dependant of her?

If my mom would include me in her application, is she the only one who will have to get evidence of exercising her treaty rights?

Thanks!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:14 pm

ibraa wrote:So EHIC would be acceptable as a comprehensive sickness insurance?
Yes. a non UK one.
Also, if I won't qualify, would they accept me in my mother's applications, as a dependant of her?

If my mom would include me in her application, is she the only one who will have to get evidence of exercising her treaty rights?
Correct.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Jambo wrote:EEA4 is for non-EU nationals. If you are a EEA national, you need to apply using EEA3.

Have you applied as a student for a Residence Certificate (form EEA1)? You didn't have to do that but if you did and if was as a student before June 2011, the HO will waive the requirement for health insurance.

The EHIC is accepted but it needs to have been issued by another EU country not the UK.

If you are a EEA national then there isn't a big reason to apply using EEA3. There isn't any difference in your daily life if you apply for it or not (unless you plan to apply for British citizenship in future).
Hi Jambo I hope you can help me here. So FIRST thing about EHIC card. IN EEA3/4 they do mention about it but they havent said that it must be from outside the UK. Where can I see more infromation about it?

Second like I mentioned in my previous forms that my wife didn’t work for 1 month as she was joinging me to a new part of the UK and during this she was looking for job. Now I don’t have proof that she was registered to job finding agencies like Bluearrow etc but I do have a ltter sent to my email asking me if my wife is still looking for work as they might have something for her. Do you think this is a good proof to show that she was an active job seeker that time.

Last thing before she left her job and joined me and didn’t have work for a month, she worked under wrs for 1 full year. I read somewhere that it shouldn’t affect her clock when she had nothing for 1 month as she worked for 1 yr before. Is this correct?

Many Thanks fro yoru help

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Punjab wrote:So FIRST thing about EHIC card. IN EEA3/4 they do mention about it but they havent said that it must be from outside the UK. Where can I see more infromation about it?
See
annex A: B.2 wrote: Where an applicant presents a valid EHIC issued by a Member State other than the UK,
Second like I mentioned in my previous forms that my wife didn’t work for 1 month as she was joinging me to a new part of the UK and during this she was looking for job. Now I don’t have proof that she was registered to job finding agencies like Bluearrow etc but I do have a ltter sent to my email asking me if my wife is still looking for work as they might have something for her. Do you think this is a good proof to show that she was an active job seeker that time.
This was discussed a few times already. Don't worry too much about it. I'm not sure you should even put that month as a job seeker. I would list employment A, then employment B with a month gap in between.
Last thing before she left her job and joined me and didn’t have work for a month, she worked under wrs for 1 full year. I read somewhere that it shouldn’t affect her clock when she had nothing for 1 month as she worked for 1 yr before. Is this correct?
Yes.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:18 am

Morning Jambo

Many thanks mate for your help.

Wishes Punjab

zheni

Post by zheni » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Jambo wrote:
Yes. a non UK one.

Correct.

I was wondering how would they accept him/her as dependent? I know that if the child is 21 or under they can be issued a work permit, same as the parent's (I am referring to A2 situations as I am more familiar with them). If they accept that the child is dependent on the parent wouldn't that make the child self-sufficient, hence needing CSI?

ibraa, EHIC has to cover the whole period of study hence be issued before you started your course.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 pm

zheni wrote:
Jambo wrote:
Yes. a non UK one.

Correct.

I was wondering how would they accept him/her as dependent? I know that if the child is 21 or under they can be issued a work permit, same as the parent's (I am referring to A2 situations as I am more familiar with them). If they accept that the child is dependent on the parent wouldn't that make the child self-sufficient, hence needing CSI?

ibraa, EHIC has to cover the whole period of study hence be issued before you started your course.
If my mom includes me in her application as a dependent family member , I won't need to show ANY evidence about me practising my treaty rights (therefore I won't need any CSI).

I'm over 22, so the UKBA told me I would need to show them proof that I'm FINANCIALLY dependent on my mother (which is the actual situation, as I'm a full time student).

zheni

Post by zheni » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:44 pm

ibraa wrote:
zheni wrote:
Jambo wrote:
Yes. a non UK one.

Correct.

If my mom includes me in her application as a dependent family member , I won't need to show ANY evidence about me practising my treaty rights (therefore I won't need any CSI).

I'm over 22, so the UKBA told me I would need to show them proof that I'm FINANCIALLY dependent on my mother (which is the actual situation, as I'm a full time student).

I know what you mean and this is exactly why I questioned it. What is your basis to apply? Your mother's status or the fact that you have been in the UK for 5 yrs? Your first post said that you have been here for 5 yrs and therefore want to apply. For your status not to matter which is what you said in your last post you need to be a minor where only the parent's status is considered.

You can be considered financially dependent on your mother but that will mean you have been self sufficient and you will need CSI.
You need to show that you have been exercising treaty rights on your own. The regulations do not provide for a situation as yours.
Lastly, from personal experience UKBA often give wrong or contradicting advice.

nonspecifics
Member of Standing

SELF-SUFFICIENT

Post by nonspecifics » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:29 pm

You can be considered financially dependent on your mother but that will mean you have been self sufficient and you will need CSI.
I see this differently.

If he relied on his mother being the one who exercised treaty rights, then I think he would not need CSI.

I agree it would be correct to say if he were to apply as self-sufficient he would need CSI, but he would not be the one applying as having exercised treaty rights.

If she has not already done so, his ma could apply for PR on EEA3 and include him in it in section 2 EEA family members. However, there is a box at the start of the EEA3 that you tick if you are an EEA's family member applying for PR when the EEA national who is the one exercising treaty rights is not applying for PR at this time.

It would be his mother who would have to prove she exercised treaty rights for the five continuous years; he would just be a family member.

A family member only has to prove:

they have been a family member for five years;

the EEA and the family member has been resident in the UK for those five years;

and the EEA is the one who would prove the EEA exercised treaty rights.

When did the Ma start exercising treaty rights in the UK?

When did the student start living in the UK?

What age was the student when he first moved to the UK?

Now, that begs the question - assuming he was UNDER 21 when he started living as a family member of an EU national who has been exercising treaty rights - would he have to prove dependence on his Ma?

If he was under 21 at the start of the five year period then he was automatically a family member.

If the Ma and the student continued living / exercising treaty rights in the UK from that time onwards without breaking continuity then the student would continue to be a family member even after he turned 21 and over.

Thus, the student would not have to prove he was dependent.

Can I have some feedback please on whether this is right or wrong?