ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

residence card (thru marriage)--when are fees paid?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

morsan
Newly Registered

residence card (thru marriage)--when are fees paid?

Post by morsan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 pm

I want to know what the process entails in detail--what form to file first, what form to file after that and when, and when their respective fees need to be paid. I understand the I-130 is filed first at a cost of 430 dollars. But when I look at USCIS information about the process (not very detailed) it says that they collect fees at stage 4 (which is when a visa number has become available).

I'm confused about this because first, there seems to be other forms that need to be filed along with the I-130, and I have no idea what fees are referred to here. Is the $430 expected to be paid at the time of filing?

If anyone can give me a complete run down of all the forms needed to be filed (consular process), and at what time in the process they are needed to be filed, along with fees due dates?

It would be very helpful to know in advance how much money we will spend at each step in the process and how long it generally takes to get from one step to the next, to the next. Or whatever it'll end up being. I applied for a green card back in 98 and the process was so quick and totally hassle free, but this time around it seems things are a hundred times more complicated, costly and lengthy.

Sorry if I forgot to add some important details about my situation.

Thanks!

morsan
Newly Registered

Post by morsan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 am

I also want to ask about public funds and immigration eligibility. When I had a green card between 98 and 2009, I was covered under a state medical assistance program, for a couple of years while I was a student, and then in 2003 my son was covered (although he's a citizen). I was pretty young and probably did not understand that as an immigrant I wasn't supposed to be covered under that program, or I probably didn't even equate it with being public funds (coming from Sweden where we have universal health care coverage).

Could this count against me in applying for residency now?

Another question, when filing for I-130, is the Affidavit of Support supposed to be filed at the same time? I ask because I want to know if my husband, who's currently living with me in Sweden, can file the I-130 a month or so before going back to the US to take up employment, and thus qualify as a financial sponsor. I read somewhere that when the I-130 ends up at NVC, the sponsor will be contacted for submitting supporting documents for the affidavit of support. If correct, is this the point when the sponsor needs to demonstrate financial security?

Maybe I'm way off thinking my husband can be overseas without permanent residence in the US before filing the I-130.