ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Appeal and Tier 2 Application Question

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Josh2012
Newly Registered

Appeal and Tier 2 Application Question

Post by Josh2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:43 am

I recently appealed to a refusal decision for a Residence Card. I am currently under a Tier 2 sponsored work visa that expires next week. I have been told conflicting information about whether I can submit an application to extend my current visa while an appeal is in progress.

I believe that I am able to, but my school's 'advisers' say that if I submit an application to renew my Tier 2 visa, my appeal will be cancelled. This can't be right.

Why would there be a question on the Tier 2 application asking if I am currently appealing a decision made by the Tribunal and to give details if I am?

Please help with this. Where can I get concrete information to show them?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:47 pm

You are allowed to make further in country application whiles you have a valid leave.

Residence Card is dealt with under the EEA regulations. Refusal of Residence Card does not preclude you from making applications under national rules.

If that application is rejected you will have a further right of appeal.

However Section 3D (4) will prevent you from making further application for variation of leave, after an application has been rejected and gone to appeal.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Josh2012
Newly Registered

Post by Josh2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks Obie.

So, to clarify, I am able to submit an application to renew my current visa while I have an EEA appeal in progress?

Is there a document I can reference? My employer is reluctant to give me a Certificate ofSponsorship because he is saying that it will cancel my appeal.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:58 pm

See rule 17 which details under which circumstance a valid appeal can be withdrawn. Making a new application is not one of them.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Josh2012
Newly Registered

Post by Josh2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks Obie, you're a saint. That isn't as definitive as I would like but it gives me something to work with.

You're fairly certain that submitting a Tier 2 visa application wouldn't effect my appeal then?

I've looked everywhere and there is nothing that directly states if it will or won't. Uggghhh...

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Josh2012 wrote:Thanks Obie, you're a saint. That isn't as definitive as I would like but it gives me something to work with.

You're fairly certain that submitting a Tier 2 visa application wouldn't effect my appeal then?

I've looked everywhere and there is nothing that directly states if it will or won't. Uggghhh...
The link Obie has posted answers your question. You are not going to find an exhaustive list of events that don't result in an appeal being treated as withdrawn.

Your employer is getting confused. If you make an application to leave to remain and your leave expires in the process, your leave is treated as continuing under section 3C of the Immigration Act 1971. This act does not permit a person to make a further application whilst his leave is extended by Section 3C, He can vary the grounds of an application but once a decision has been made, he can raise further grounds in an appeal, but he cannot make vary his application leave to remain whilst the appeal is outstanding as there s no application to vary.

Your appeal will therefore not be effected if you make a tier 2 application because

- Your appeal is brought under the EEA regulations, which are separate from the immigration rules.
- Even for applications under the immigration rules, if a person appeals and then attempts to make another application - all that happens is that the UKBA will refuse to consider the application - your appeal is not treated as withdrawn (although an applicant could be invited to withdraw from the appeal in order for a new application to be considered), but again, all this is irrelvent because you have extant leave, and your appeal is under the EEA regs so section 3c is not relevent. [/i]

Josh2012
Newly Registered

Post by Josh2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks a lot Greenie.

Do you know if I will need my passport at the Oral Hearing of my appeal at Tribunal?

I'm supposed to send it off with my Tier 2 application and I don't know if I should.