ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel alone in Schengen Area?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Yasser::Norske

Can I travel alone in Schengen Area?

Post by Yasser::Norske » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:07 am

Hi! I have an EU family member RP from Finland and I want to visit my friends in Switzerland and Austria for 2 weeks and in summer 4 weeks. Do I need a visa when I will travel from Helsinki to Zurich?

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Can I travel alone in Schengen Area?

Post by ca.funke » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:17 am

Hi Yasser::Norske,

any Schengen RP allows you to visit any other Schengen-Country, alone, for up to 90 days without any conditions.

There are no passport-checks between Helsinki and Zürich, hence no stamps, hence no-one can really check the 90 days limit, however in theory it is in place.

Make sure to take your passport and Finnish RP.

Happy travels,
Rgds, Christian

newbieholland
United Kingdom

Post by newbieholland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm

ca.funke wrote:Hi Yasser::Norske,

any Schengen RP allows you to visit any other Schengen-Country, alone, for up to 90 days without any conditions.

There are no passport-checks between Helsinki and Zürich, hence no stamps, hence no-one can really check the 90 days limit, however in theory it is in place.

Make sure to take your passport and Finnish RP.

Happy travels,
Rgds, Christian
I think you are wrong Ca.FUnke . Swiss is not a part of schengen at all. It comes under EEA however you can not travel to Swiss without your EU family member even if you have an RC from another member state. Its something similar to how UK and IRE has implemented the EU directive in the national law.
I am not sure if there is any passport check between Helenski and Zurich however if an IO happens to stop him, he will be in trouble.
"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:37 pm

newbieholland wrote:I think you are wrong Ca.FUnke . Swiss is not a part of schengen at all.
Switzerland is in Schengen. Sources:
  1. I live here
  2. check >>this<< diagram
  3. >>Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs<<
  4. See >>this Schengen-Visa<<, issued by the Embassy of Switzerland in Beirut/Lebanon. Why would they issue Schengen-Visas, if they´re not a member of same? (You can see it was issued by the CH-Embassy from the letters CHE in the top right corner)
newbieholland wrote:It comes under EEA
While Switzerland is in Schengen, it is actually NOT in the EEA ;) (Can also be seen in above diagram.)
newbieholland wrote:however you can not travel to Swiss without your EU family member even if you have an RC from another member state. Its something similar to how UK and IRE has implemented the EU directive in the national law.
Do I have to prove that this is wrong? Well, it is...
newbieholland wrote:I am not sure if there is any passport check between Helenski and Zurich however if an IO happens to stop him, he will be in trouble.
  1. Both Finland and Switzerland (and thus both Helsinki and Zürich) are in Schengen, thus there are no checks.
  2. Should an IO stop him anyway he won´t be in trouble, as both Switzerland and Finland are in Schengen.
Rgds, Christian

newbieholland
United Kingdom

Post by newbieholland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Sorry my bad. I forget that Swiss joint the schenegan a few months ago.
"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."

Post by Yasser::Norske » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks a lot for this information :)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 am

Yasser::Norske,

Where are you living now? Has your wife managed to find work?

Post by Yasser::Norske » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:11 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Yasser::Norske,

Where are you living now? Has your wife managed to find work?
I'm living in Helsinki. My wife has got work and she is working since about five months and we have been in Finland since almost have a year! The labor office accepted me for Finnish language courses and I'm going to start February..

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Awsome good news.

And you are getting used to Finish winter? Have you also been able to find work?

Post by Yasser::Norske » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Awsome good news.

And you are getting used to Finish winter? Have you also been able to find work?
Yeah, I'm fan of cold :D I have found work for me, but I prefer to study because it is free here ;) I still have couple of questions to you, Can I travel from Cairo to Zurich directly to meet my friends or I have first to go to Helsinki? Do I need visa if I want to visit London for tourist purposes and also alone? How long my wife should be working in order if she become unemployed for any reason she would have the right to stay in Finland? Hope to back from you soon, Yasser

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:49 am

Yasser::Norske wrote:Can I travel from Cairo to Zurich directly to meet my friends or I have first to go to Helsinki?
You can travel directly from Cairo to Zürich, even without your EEA-partner. (In fact from everywhere to anywhere within Schengen)
Yasser::Norske wrote:Do I need visa if I want to visit London for tourist purposes and also alone?
If yee want to travel to the UK together, you can go without visa. If you want to go alone, you will need a visa.
Yasser::Norske wrote:How long my wife should be working in order if she become unemployed for any reason she would have the right to stay in Finland? Hope to back from you soon, Yasser
No clue - but I guess someone will answer this soon :)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:51 pm

ca.funke wrote:
Yasser::Norske wrote:Do I need visa if I want to visit London for tourist purposes and also alone?
If yee want to travel to the UK together, you can go without visa. If you want to go alone, you will need a visa.
He would need a visa (called an EEA Family Permit) if he was going to fly to the UK with his wife. They will likely refuse to board him on the plane if he does not have it.

But if he takes the train or ferry or drives to the UK, then he can enter on the basis of MRAX even if he does not have a required visa: http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... to-travel/