ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child tax credit and benifit entitle or not.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Vabs
Newly Registered

Child tax credit and benifit entitle or not.

Post by Vabs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Hello Members,

I am ready for applying for ILR, on my visa it says: No recourse to public funds.
But I am getting Child Benefit and child tax credit. I have a letter from HM Revenue & Custom saying I am entitle for child benefit.

So I am bit confuse do I entitle for receiving benefits or not, should I call and cancel child benefit and child tax credit and than apply for ILR, I would really appreciate your time and advice.

Regards,
Vabs.

sharjeelpk

Post by sharjeelpk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:13 pm

You are not entitle to any benefits, Its better for you to return every penny you got as a benefit and get clearence letter from the council (or who ever you were getting benefits from) and attached it with your ILR application and mention it in covering letter that you return all the money you got as a benefit and All it was because of misunderstanding.

ssj
Newly Registered

Post by ssj » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:17 pm

mate you are in serious trouble, how long have you been getting these benefits

Vabs
Newly Registered

Post by Vabs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 pm

ssj wrote:mate you are in serious trouble, how long have you been getting these benefits
Thanks for your kind and quick reply,
But when I apply I gave all my documents along with my passport, after that I got entitle letter from HM Revenue & Custom.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:58 pm

There is nothing stopping you from getting benefits (especially child benefit) in this country. HMRC and other Govt. Departments don’t looking at the conditions of people’s visa.

I have seen cases in past where people claimed child benefit but had to return every single penny as soon as they realised that they are not entitled for it.

Contact HSMP asap and return everything you have received so far.

Vabs
Newly Registered

Post by Vabs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:14 pm

linkers wrote:There is nothing stopping you from getting benefits (especially child benefit) in this country. HMRC and other Govt. Departments don’t looking at the conditions of people’s visa.

I have seen cases in past where people claimed child benefit but had to return every single penny as soon as they realised that they are not entitled for it.

Contact HSMP asap and return everything you have received so far.
Thanks for quick reply,
As advised I called Child Benefit for cancellation of benefit,
I was asked why I want to cancel, I told them that I am not UK citizen and I am not sure if I am illegible for the same, and also I said if my daughter gets place in India for her school starting from June 2012, she will go back to her grand parents. In that case also I should not cancel this they said, and if it will get cancel it will be paid at least 12 weeks from date of cancelation which is long time. My visa is going to expire by 31st May2012
So can we process as of now with benefits?
and if they ask I need to return every penny what I received and as long as I don’t refuse to this I don’t think there should be any issue. Please advice,

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:26 pm

The home office will easily find out about benefits when they do their checks. You need to ask HMRC to provide you the statement of total money you have received so far, so you can repay them everything.

But you can’t take risk of applying ILR without paying them back the money, as it would be a straight refusal.