ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for MN1 or British passport from India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Londonvasi
Newly Registered

Applying for MN1 or British passport from India

Post by Londonvasi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi,

I am on work permit and will complete 5 years on May 26, 2012 (eligible to apply for ILR on April 30th). My wife is on Tier 1 visa valid until July 2012. We have two daughters aged 7 and 3, both dependent on my WP. The elder one US citizen by birth and younger one was born in UK and has Indian passport.

Due to personal and career reasons, we are looking to move to India. As schools in India start in June, we are planning to move back by 3rd week of May.

We are keen to get my ILR done (being so close to it) and also get UK citienship for my younger daughter. Not very keen about BC for me and my wife as we plan to settle down in India.

Here is the plan of action we have thought of -

1. Apply for my ILR on 30th April when I am eligible using PEO same day service.

2. As soon as I get my ILR, apply for my younger daughter's MN1. Since it is unlikely to be received by the time I leave by end of May, provide change of address to one of my friend's place.

3. Once we receive MN1, apply for british passport for my daughter from India.

Welcome comments from seniors on whether this is a feasible plan - specifically if chnge of address is possible for MN1 and can the address for passport be different from MN1.

Also, are we likely to face any problem when we apply for her passport from India, as I would be having a job in India at that time and my wife would not have ILR.

Many thanks.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Applying for MN1 or British passport from India

Post by ric1982 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Londonvasi wrote:Hi,

I am on work permit and will complete 5 years on May 26, 2012 (eligible to apply for ILR on April 30th). My wife is on Tier 1 visa valid until July 2012. We have two daughters aged 7 and 3, both dependent on my WP. The elder one US citizen by birth and younger one was born in UK and has Indian passport.

Due to personal and career reasons, we are looking to move to India. As schools in India start in June, we are planning to move back by 3rd week of May.

We are keen to get my ILR done (being so close to it) and also get UK citienship for my younger daughter. Not very keen about BC for me and my wife as we plan to settle down in India.

Here is the plan of action we have thought of -

1. Apply for my ILR on 30th April when I am eligible using PEO same day service.

2. As soon as I get my ILR, apply for my younger daughter's MN1. Since it is unlikely to be received by the time I leave by end of May, provide change of address to one of my friend's place.

3. Once we receive MN1, apply for british passport for my daughter from India.

Welcome comments from seniors on whether this is a feasible plan - specifically if chnge of address is possible for MN1 and can the address for passport be different from MN1.

Also, are we likely to face any problem when we apply for her passport from India, as I would be having a job in India at that time and my wife would not have ILR.

Many thanks.
(2) Good idea. You can do that provided you stay in UK for atleast one week after MN1 application

(3) You can apply for Passport from Delhi BHC. Here's the link:
http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help- ... pply/india

I think the application form is C2.

I understand you would want to move to India but if possible get the BC for at least your wife. You must have spent quite a lot of time and hard work staying here in this country if in future you want to go any other country then you can go without visa hassle.

You can get the OCI card on which you can work and live in India as long as you want...

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Two comments about address change.

1. The certificate is sent using Royal mail. You can also have Royal mail redirection service set up to your friends place.

2. You can also apply using MN1 from India. There is no requirement for the application to be made from the UK.

Londonvasi
Newly Registered

Post by Londonvasi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Jambo, ric1982,

Many thanks for your quick response.

Ric1982,

Is there any specific reason you mentioned I should stay in UK a week after I get my ILR for applying MN1 for my daughter? Is there a dependency there?

Thanks