ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BobbyCk
Newly Registered

surrender application

Post by BobbyCk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:46 am

Has anyone got Surrender Certificate whithout self attesting the copies, as thats what i did when i submitted at VFS goswell rd, the lady at the counter didnt even ask me about it, the application form dosent say self attested on the document checklist, i just came to know after submission while reading a few posts here that attestation is necessary. any ideas what could happen as i need the SC ASAP.

tcp
Newly Registered

Post by tcp » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 am

Yes I have got SC without attesting the copies.

londonlad
Newly Registered

Fees for postal application

Post by londonlad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Guys,

Someone mentioned you can pay online after making postal application - Do you know how i can do that? I have sent my application today without postal order.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:25 pm

When youre submitting your application in person, it gives you an option for an appointment, then you can pay online.

londonlad
Newly Registered

Post by londonlad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 pm

gidoc wrote:When youre submitting your application in person, it gives you an option for an appointment, then you can pay online.
Hi gidoc,

I submitted my application via post. So do you know how i can pay online?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 pm

No you cannot do it now. Best is to go over in person and pay, I suspect they will just ignore your application until you pay. Call them and check it out.

GBINR

Post by GBINR » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 pm

londonlad wrote:
gidoc wrote:When youre submitting your application in person, it gives you an option for an appointment, then you can pay online.
Hi gidoc,

I submitted my application via post. So do you know how i can pay online?
Did you not enclose postal order when you sent your passport for surrender? Since you have already submitted I think it is better to go and pay there.

rightmove

return of canceled indian passport?

Post by rightmove » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:30 pm

Does anybody know if they return the original Indian Passport along with the surrender certificate?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:32 pm

Yes, they do.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

hillybilly
Newly Registered

Post by hillybilly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:16 am

Applying for my UK born 2 year old. I got my ILR in July. Got the kid's UK citizenship certificate last week.
Will I need to get the British passport before surrendering Indian passport?
Or can I kick off both these processes at the same time, independent of each other?
What is 'self attest'?
And what about OCI? Which of these steps could be taken at the same time to save time and money? I live in east London and can skip postal applications.
Thanks.

rightmove

Post by rightmove » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:49 am

hillybilly wrote:Applying for my UK born 2 year old. I got my ILR in July. Got the kid's UK citizenship certificate last week.
Will I need to get the British passport before surrendering Indian passport?
Or can I kick off both these processes at the same time, independent of each other?
What is 'self attest'?
And what about OCI? Which of these steps could be taken at the same time to save time and money? I live in east London and can skip postal applications.
Thanks.
You need to apply for passport. Should take 2 weeks. Then apply for Surrender Certificate as you need to input UK passport no on the surrender application.

Self attest means simply sign the photocopy yourself. Since this is a minor, u will sign and write in bracket that you are father/mother.

Then apply for OCI as that needs surrender certificate.
Unfortunately the whole process is serialized.
If you need to travel to India, the most you can save on time is applying for Visa (3 working days) in stead of OCI. or just travel on Indian passport within the first 3 months (don't surrender). They waiver 1st three months.

hillybilly
Newly Registered

Post by hillybilly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks rightmove for swift and to-the-point reply.

I'll move my queries regarding application of British Passport to a relevant thread. However, regarding surrender of Indian passport, will I need to book and appointment (whether online or by phone) for that? Or can I just walk into the nearest VFS office. Same question regarding OCI.
Much thanks.
Last edited by hillybilly on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hillybilly
Newly Registered

Post by hillybilly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Oops! Couldn't find a relevant thread. But if there is an active one around here somewhere, administrators/moderators please feel free to move this post.

Background: I was on old style 5yr work-permit (Jul 2006-2011). Got my ILR in July. Applying for British passport for my UK born 2 year old. Got the kid's UK citizenship certificate last week.

I've been looking up official websites (first British passport for a child) but the list of required documents is obviously not very relevant to people like you and I.
Can anyone who has been through this process please help with this knowledge? I could give the IPS Passport Adviceline a call to find out but from my experience of calling such offices, and also hearing discouraging stories from others on the forum, I am convinced that I will receive incorrect and incomplete information from them.

rightmove

Post by rightmove » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:37 pm

hillybilly wrote:Oops! Couldn't find a relevant thread. But if there is an active one around here somewhere, administrators/moderators please feel free to move this post.

Background: I was on old style 5yr work-permit (Jul 2006-2011). Got my ILR in July. Applying for British passport for my UK born 2 year old. Got the kid's UK citizenship certificate last week.

I've been looking up official websites (first British passport for a child) but the list of required documents is obviously not very relevant to people like you and I.
Can anyone who has been through this process please help with this knowledge? I could give the IPS Passport Adviceline a call to find out but from my experience of calling such offices, and also hearing discouraging stories from others on the forum, I am convinced that I will receive incorrect and incomplete information from them.
Go to the nearest post office which offers check and send service. You can find it on royal mail website. But if my memory serves right, u need 2 passport photos, naturalization cert, current passport, passport form from post office. You need 2 references for ur child, all explained on the form. There is thread in the section British citizenship for all this....

gg234

Post by gg234 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Go through this link it will give you full details

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_174107
hillybilly wrote:Oops! Couldn't find a relevant thread. But if there is an active one around here somewhere, administrators/moderators please feel free to move this post.

hillybilly
Newly Registered

Post by hillybilly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks gg234 and rightmove.

rajivts
Newly Registered

DO NOT USE THE DX COURIER SERVICE !!!!

Post by rajivts » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Do not opt for the DX courier service unless you want a headache as I have just experienced :(

I paid VFS £7.40 per envelope for DX courier. Their online tracking was crap so you don't know when it will be delivered.
They could not deliver at a convenient time or give a time other than between 9am - 5pm. They left a card at my property today with no details (date or time). Once card is left you have to arrange re-delivery yourself by contacting them (automated telephone or online). I tried 7 times today and held for 10-15 mins each time with no answer or response. Though their website says you can arrange for next day re-delivery before 6pm, suddenly all fully booked whenever you try and can't deliver next day (even when you try at 11am) and hence you may have to opt for an extra £6.50 for paid delivery between 9am-12pm- they are trying to squeeze £6.50 for re-delivery from me per item. They have no local office in my city for me to collect from. Basically a rip off!!.

I should have instead just taken two royal mail special delivery envelopes with me (only maximum 2 passports per envelope) which was cheaper and you can also then collect your delivery from your local post office if you miss the delivery and they won't try to charge you for next day re-delivery!!

Update - I finally managed to arrange re-delivery of both envelopes via online but now only one of the envelopes have been scheduled for delivery on monday, the other one ? didn't go through and cut off time is over for monday. Aaarggh- such a hassle!!!

Panesar

Deemed Surrender Certificate

Post by Panesar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Has anyone applied for a Deemed Surrender Certificate? I applied for one for my father on 20th October and still havent heard back. I made the application at VFS Barbican.

We did not have a copy of his old passport, only the Letter from the Home Office saying his old passport has been sent to the Indian High Commission and his Naturalisation Certificate.

Does it usually take this long?

rightmove

Surrender Timeline

Post by rightmove » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Applied at VFS London on 01/11/2011
Collected in Person at VFS on 14/11/2011

bubblegum
Newly Registered

Post by bubblegum » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:59 pm

My timelines:
Submitted at VFS London (Islington): 20/10/2011
Documents received at VFS London: 02/11/2011

Couple of things to note:
1. The VFS website advises processing time as 3-4 working days minimum. In reality, we were advised at the VFS centre as well as actually experienced that the process takes 2 weeks. HCI is quite quick – the bulk of the extra time seems to be for VFS processing.
2. My wife submitted the documents and collected the cancelled passport. I did not have to be present on either occasion – useful if you can’t take time off and have someone who can go on your behalf.

frankfrida
Newly Registered

Post by frankfrida » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:34 pm

pbs6vas wrote:My timeline for Surrender Certificate
1 Adult & 1Minor
Mode of application: Personal, VFS Victoria, London
Date of application: 19/07/2011
Date received by Indian high commission: 20/07/2011
Date passport revoked: 25/07/011
Date of receipt of SC: 29/07/2011 by courier
Fortunately, No errors in both certificates. Also recieved revoked Indian Passports :D :D
Excellent service recieved SC's in 7 working days intotal. very very satisfied :D
I entered into final phase............OCI
Hello pbs6vas,
Just need to knw abt minor passport surrender application
Wt type of documents do I need to attach with the application?

regards

qaziji
Newly Registered

Why surrender?

Post by qaziji » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

frankfrida wrote:
pbs6vas wrote:My timeline for Surrender Certificate
1 Adult & 1Minor
Mode of application: Personal, VFS Victoria, London
Date of application: 19/07/2011
Date received by Indian high commission: 20/07/2011
Date passport revoked: 25/07/011
Date of receipt of SC: 29/07/2011 by courier
Fortunately, No errors in both certificates. Also recieved revoked Indian Passports :D :D
Excellent service recieved SC's in 7 working days intotal. very very satisfied :D
I entered into final phase............OCI
Hello pbs6vas,
Just need to knw abt minor passport surrender application
Wt type of documents do I need to attach with the application?

regards
I just surrendered from Indian Passport ....
Last edited by qaziji on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 am

about to apply for our surrender certificates. What fees are applicable? is it Rs 7000, as mentioned on their website and if so then what currency conversion rate shall be considered?

Does anyone know what happens if you change your name after acquiring british citizenship? My indian passport and naturalisation certificate have one name. I made a minor change of name and british passport is in the new name. This was done through a deed poll. Question is what happens with the certificate and subsequent OCI card etc!

Thanks a lot

sll100
Newly Registered

Application Timeline

Post by sll100 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Can anyone point recent application timelines for Surrender of Passport. I read on some posts that the VFS site does not provide the correct update. So, any pointers on timelines would help. I have surrendered the passsports in person yesterday, so will only make a trip to VFS with the responses in mind

Thanks

drwho
Newly Registered

Post by drwho » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:37 pm

My postal application reached VFS london on a Monday and I got the surrender certificate by saturday.( This was in feb)

My colleague did the same last week. His application by post reached the VFS office on tuesday and he got the surrender certificate by friday by post!!!