ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application - Child tax credits and benefits, maternity

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

allovera
Newly Registered

ILR application - Child tax credits and benefits, maternity

Post by allovera » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi,

I am a UK citizen and my husband is from South Korea, we are both living in the UK and he is here on a Spouse visa which will expire March 2013 - at which point he will be applying for his ILR.

We both work full time and have not claimed any benefits since my husband was granted his Spouse visa.

I am now 5 months pregnant with our first child and am wondering if we claim Child Tax Credits or Child Benefits will this affect my husband's application for his ILR.

Also, can I claim Statutory Maternity Pay once my company's maternity pay has ended without this affecting his application for ILR?

Help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 pm

No problem. Apply for Child Tax credits in joint names...Child benefit in your name only.
Maternity pay isn't a Public Fund and won't affect your husband's application.

allovera
Newly Registered

Post by allovera » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks Casa, just to clarify though, you state that Maternity pay isn't a Public Fund - does this mean that Child Tax credits and Child benefit are? In which case, this is my confusion - it states on my husband's visa 'no recourse to public funds' - so surely then claiming CTC and CB would affect this and his ILR application??

Am I complicating things? Sorry if I am - but the more I read the more confused I get :?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:59 pm

You're entitled to claim CB in your name.
Child Tax credits have to be claimed in joint names...but as strange as this may seem, it won't be seen as your husband claiming.
Have a read through the pinned topic on the forum 'claiming benefits' .

allovera
Newly Registered

Post by allovera » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks, that's a bit clearer.. it does seem strange though about the CTC, but who am I to complain.

I will have a look at the pinned topic again, I must have missed some information on there the first time I read it.

Thanks for your time :-)