ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why is not possible to change a fiancee visa to a spouse

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

faust
Newly Registered

Why is not possible to change a fiancee visa to a spouse

Post by faust » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 am

I am a British citizen I meet my girfriend in Russia 2 years ago. 6 months ago I applyed for a fiancee visa for her to come to UK for our wedding and the visa was rejected.
I then made an successfull appeal. However, as I am now in Russia we would have liked to get married here and after go to UK, but The Embassy has told us that this is not possible, becouse we did apply for a fiancee visa.
my girfriend did also pass the English test.
Now we are left with bills to pay for cancelling the wedding here in Russia.

We also facing now a new spouse visa application to make in Uk after the wedding.

Why is not possible for the Embassy to change a fiancee to a spouse visa ?

And I waisted 6 months , mite as well came here 6 month ago and got married!

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:44 am

If the vis was rejected, i don't understand why that would stop you applying for a spouse visa. Hopefully one of the moderators can advise further, but i think you were given the wrong advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:56 am

If you marry her in Russia, then she may apply for a fresh spouse visa.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

faust
Newly Registered

Post by faust » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

SoHopeful wrote:If the vis was rejected, i don't understand why that would stop you applying for a spouse visa. Hopefully one of the moderators can advise further, but i think you were given the wrong advice.
The girlfriend visa was refused. I made an appeal. After waiting almast 5 months , I came to Russia and got all the papers to marry in Russia, the British Embassy then phones stating that the visa for Svetla was now open, and they asked further information, I then said to them that we were going to get married on the 4th of Feb 12, They replyed that if we were getting married here the visa will not be issue . But I must make a new application for spouse visa.

So now I have lost money in every corner, paper work, unecessary visa, reception wedding booking in Russia. A total disgrace from day one on my visa application, I do feel I have been taken for a ride. I waisted lot of money for a dam visa ! Now we have to go go to England becouse the Embassy cannot change the visa for wich was pending before our wedding booking in Russia.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 pm

you applied for one visa, you now have been granted that visa so why not go to the UK and get married.
You can not expect to apply for one visa and then change your mind and ask for another at no extra cost.
Why not have the party in Russia and still do the wedding in the UK?
Or marry in Russia and apply for the spouse visa immediately after, given you have met all the requirements should not be a problem to apply again.
pennyless

AcrossBorders

Post by AcrossBorders » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:53 am

Can't you just continue with your reception / party etc in Russia and then do the official registry in the UK? and apply for a spouse visa then.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:29 pm

The criteria and requirements for spouse visas are different to that of a fiancee.The spouse visas are more difficult to obtain.If you get married in Russia, you will then have to apply for a spouse visa and pay the fee gain and wait the prescribed time.

I would recommend you stick to fiancee visa, but change your plans for wedding by following what other posters have suggested